Original topic:

Galaxy A55 5G Fingerprint Sensor Issues

(Topic created: 03-25-2024 02:08 AM)
Dessieg73
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I received a brand new Samsung Galaxy A55 5G about a week ago. It's a decent device, but unfortunately I have encountered a strange issue with the fingerprint sensor whereby it simply doesn't recognise any fingerprints. This is intermittent, sometimes it's working, sometimes not.

To give a little insight, this ain't my first rodeo. I've owned a plethora of Galaxy devices with in-screen fingerprint sensors and never had the same issue. Of course I've tried the usual, deleting and re-registering the fingerprints, even performing a full factory reset, but the issue remains. There is no screen protector fitted, hands are clean, screen is clean. Interestingly, a restart usually fixes the issue for a short while, but then after a time the issue returns. I did find an article somewhere that said resetting the accessibility settings would resolve the issue, but alas this is not the case.

It does seem like a software issue. Has anyone else encountered the same issue and, if so, do you have any advice?

bubba_169
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Well I thought I had it figured but now I'm back to 0% success rate with any finger whether its tips or pads no matter the rotation. Samsung this needs sorting out, it's really not good enough šŸ˜ž

0 Likes
icy84
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Same thing just happened to me now , no longer recognizes anymore at all , after working great for 2 weeks (with glass protector)

0 Likes
LIMBESH
Astronaut
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Just yesterday I purchased a55 and me 2 facing d same issue

0 Likes
0xdeadca11
Astronaut
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Same here and encountered bogus Samsung customer care support

0 Likes
Ricofip
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

This is really frustrating..... 

0 Likes
icy84
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I noticed that the fingerprint reader is really picky when it comes to small changes of the surface of the fingers skin, and does not like damaged skin at all. If I use my "healthiest" finger as a test and register only the tip as a fingerprint, if tested afterwards in the biometrics recognition menu, after beeing recognized a few times with failures in between , it seems like the software algorithm goes easier and starts recognizing the finger better and better, until it registers 100% of the time, Then the moment the finger skin gets roughed up a bit in any way , it will no longer recognize it at all and even needs re registering (if even possible in less then ideal health of that fingers). Either the software needs to be less strict , or the reader just doesn't like rough fingers šŸ˜• , as a comparison my a52, does not have this issue at all

0 Likes
Bwiltshi
Astronaut
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

My wife got an A55 5g last week in UK, replacing an A52.  Managed to register a print, but it wouldn't unlock the phone. I had a mess around with it, and added one of my prints. Similarly it wouldn't unlock the phone.  I have no problem on my own A52.

However I found if I placed my finger slightly below the target area, it worked every time. So it seems that the interface isn't exactly lined up as it should be. This solution worked in our situation, not ideal but workable.

0 Likes
Angelo7
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I only have the device for two days and the same issue. The fingerprint setup works fine but I noticed that multiple times it also fails to read while setting up. Once set there are also issues. I sometimes have to try up to 5 times to scan my print. 

0 Likes
GregAu
Astronaut
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I have had the A55 for a few weeks and have the same fault with the fingerprint scan failures. It works less than 50% of the time, some times 100% failure rate. Have rescanned fingerprints several times.  I found moisturiser on the hands can help, once it had dried a bit, the sensor does not like dry fingers. Also yesterday I found a phone restart helps, after 100% failure rate, I restarted and the sensor began working better, it still but the failure rate is down to 10-20%. I read the failure rate starts increasing again after a few days, so will I have to see what happens. So a phone restart might be a workaround at times of high failure rates. I reported this A55 defect to Samsung and was told the phone has to go to approved service centre for assessment, then they'll replace or refund if a fault is found, if no fault, I have to pay a service fee. Inconvenient as I already reset the old device, so will have to set up a replacement without transfer option. Annoying Samsung, fix this A55 fingerprint sensor defect. My A53 did not have this fault. Do not buy the Samsung A55 is the best recommendation.

0 Likes
JirkaH
Astronaut
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Same here - I have replaced my old A52, which worked flawlessly with the A55. Fingerprint sensor stopped working after 3 days. 

Could you get a statement from Samsung on this matter? 

0 Likes