JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Reset my Galaxy J5 to regain storage, now can't log into any websites that require log-in.

(Topic created: 06-29-2023 08:08 AM)
Caliban
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

After resetting my J5 I filled in all the Gmail details, then Email details required.  Then noticed that "Samsung Internet" app had disappeared, replaced by "Internet" - if that means Samsung have stopped supporting this phone so be it: I like it and want to go on using it. Using the Google search window I input a couple of websites I normally use (Ebay and another Forum) and noticed that the page layout appearance was different to what it had been, with some superimposed text, particularly on headers. The Ebay site asked for my username/email address. I tried using both of these but the subsequent "Next" box for Google turns red and just sits there, doing nothing. Same for every other site that requires a log-in. I suspect that, somehow, these sites are being given my Gmail address as my primary mail address, rather than my main Email address (which works fine for just simple Emails) and so they are not recognising me. When re-starting the phone I was forced down a specific route of re-submitting all my mail details with no options presented. Any ideas on what this problem may be, and/or how to fix it?

Many thanks.

5 Replies
GalaxyIs4Real
Galaxy
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
When did this phone come out?
0 Likes
Caliban
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Looking online it depends who you believe: some people say 2016, others say 2017.

0 Likes
Caliban
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Just noticed something else. When typing an underscore, whatever you type next is ALSO underscored even if you don't want it. Seems like a keyboard issue but web searches show no topic indicating what could be causing this, just a lot of people saying " turn off your Spellcheck" which I can't do as I can't find it anywhere under Keyboard settings.

0 Likes
Solution
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

@Caliban I'm guessing that when you say "resetting my J5" that you did a factory reset?

"Internet" is the Samsung browser. 

More than likely the issue you are seeing is because  the browser from 7 years ago is using outdated security protocols. This will prevent you from securely logging into sites using current protocols. 

Caliban
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

LongHiker, Yes, I did a factory reset and worked my way back in to get things close to how they were before - with the obvious exception of the problems above.

I DID in fact find and turn off the spellheck, as suggested by some online sources, but it has made no difference to the Log In problems on websites requiring Username/Passwords.

The underscore/underline problem is still happening and surely can't be an unknown problem?

If "Internet" is the Samsung browser then why, before reset, did I also have a "Samsung Internet" app which has now disappeared?    I understand that the current browser may be using outdated security protocols so can they be updated by me, or do I now have a brick ?

0 Likes