JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

970 EVO Plus 1TB Failed to Update Firmware

(Topic created: 07-08-2024 09:22 AM)
SmartMachine
Asteroid
Options
Computers

My NVMe M.2 disk suddenly went into read-only mode. I can't delete files or format it at all.

The disk is only two years old. Apparently, it's a known bug with Samsung disks.

When I try to update the driver using Samsung Magician, it says: "Failed to update firmware on the selected drive."

New version (that I can't install): 4B2QEXM7

Is this disk permanently broken? Is there any way to fix it with software?

Or is the disk hardware definitely faulty?

I've searched the web, but there doesn't seem to be a clear solution. I've only found various hypotheses and numerous suggestions that would take a long time to try, with no guarantee of success.

Therefore, to avoid wasting time, I'd like to know honestly: is this disk permanently damaged and needs replacing?

Alternatively, is there any chance of fixing it through a software update, perhaps by forcing the firmware update through BIOS or another method?

6 Replies
userZ0obXfi3aE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
Download update to a USB stick and plug into computer upon startup. Will need to go through bios
SmartMachine
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I downloaded ISO file 4B2QEXM7 firmware update.

Then created a Boot Disk for the Firmware Update using UNetbootin.

Started PC, entered BIOS and selected to boot from this pendrive.

Computer starts but stays in black screen, nothing happens, waited 30 minutes before giving up and restarting windows again.

Any other solution?

0 Likes
userZ0obXfi3aE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
Did a quick Google search and even went to reddit. Seems like your only option now is to replace your ssd
Solution
userZ0obXfi3aE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
There is a post on reddit with your exact situation and everyone that replied is saying to replace the ssd.
SmartMachine
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Thanks, I will replace it then.

0 Likes
userZ0obXfi3aE
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
Best of luck to you