Original topic:

Galaxy book3: hdmi output not detected on Linux

(Topic created: 09-19-2023 05:08 PM)
bastosfh
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi!

I have a brand new Galaxy Book3 in which I installed Ubuntu 23.04 (I've been using linux for a long time now). When I connect my notebook to an external monitor, through the HDMI port, the monitor is not shown as a display option.

Using the same HDMI cable with an HDMI -> USB-C adapter, I can use the external monitor without problems.

I've seen a post on Ask Ubuntu (unfortunately, I could not link it here) that describes the same situation, but with a different vendor. Apparently, the fix would be possible with a BIOS update, correcting some bug that prevents linux from detecting the HDMI port (I've also tested with Fedora 38, on a flash drive, and the result was the same).

Is there any chance of a firmware update coming soon from Samsung that would solve this problem I'm having?

Best regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bastosfh
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hello, everyone!

In case anyone comes here searching for this: the HDMI output works out of the box in Ubuntu 24.04.

No extra configuration needed šŸ™‚

Best regards!

View solution in context

0 Likes
11 Replies
Options
Computers
Have you bothered checking for updates with the Samsung Updates app that came with the laptop in the first place before you wiped it?
0 Likes
Options
Computers
I'm unsure if the app exists for Linux, but you can get the Samsung updates app back on Windows to get all the drivers downloaded. You may be able to find the drivers for the laptop on Samsungs website somewhere and look for the BIOS firmware installer and you could potentially run it with Wine.
0 Likes
bastosfh
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi, @gabe80million 

I didn't know that Samsung was not part of the LVFS (Linux Vendor Firmware Service) before posting my question here. My previous notebook was a Lenovo and I never had to worry about BIOS updates before (there is an open source daemon - fwupd -  that handles firmware upgrades in Linux based systems... provided that the vendor makes it available through LVFS).

Well... I guess my best chance is getting Windows 11 back and keep it on a partition just for BIOS updates. It is a shame, though...

Thanks for the response, anyway šŸ™‚

0 Likes
ale99viv
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Did you soolve this problem? I have the same one

0 Likes
bastosfh
Asteroid
Options
Computers

Hi, @ale99viv 

The short answer is no, I didn't. 

I've installed Windows 11 back and updated everything (which included at least one Bios firmware update), but it did not solve this problem I'm experiencing with Ubuntu (which is now in a dual boot installation).

Sorry for the bad news...

If you find something, please, share it here.

Best regards 

0 Likes
aaaaaaaaasdfasdfasdf
Constellation
Options
Computers

Same problem here. Glad if you find an answer and post.

0 Likes
mtamagno
Astronaut
Options
Computers

El mismo problema... funciona en Windows, pero no en Ubuntu

0 Likes
NicoSkere
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Hola, hace un tiempo tenia el mismo problema y por eso termine aqui, pero hoy he conectado el HDMI al monitor y ha funcionado de maravilla. No se si se debe a que han/he puesto alguna actualizacion o algo por el estilo, pero pueden intentar hoy dia a ver si les funciona (yo no he hecho nada en concreto). Mucha Suerte šŸ™‚

0 Likes
gabriel600r
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Consulta, te funciona todo el hardware con Ubuntu? estoy pensando en comprar la book3, pero lei que hay muchas cosas que no funcionan con Ubuntu. Saludos

0 Likes