JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Vpn recommendation

(Topic created: 4 weeks ago)
userra
Sun
Options
Computers
Which vpn do you recommend for a computer, is it really necessary to have one on home wifi i read it is. Thanks. 
JUMP TO SOLUTION
18 Replies
userra
Sun
Options
Computers
What in tarnation wow
0 Likes
MrGhoul
Halo
Options
Computers
Nordvpn
userra
Sun
Options
Computers
I am bad at reading, but I think developers can tether their vpn to their laptops for free. Per, knox Android vpn built in feature et alia and quoted via website as follows:
"Knox 3.5, Samsung Knox devices could extend a VPN tunnel to a laptop connected through USB. This provided laptop users with the ability to access internal enterprise resources using our defense-grade mobile VPN network. In addition to providing convenience when laptops do not have network connectivity, this offers company cost savings by removing the need to buy additional VPN licenses for laptops."

This is only available to developers. See, https://docs.samsungknox.com/dev/knox-sdk/tools/knox-vpn-tools/#usb-tethering-authentication-for-vpn

0 Likes
Solution
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Computers

The only reasons I can think of to have a VPN on your home network would be a) if you want to make sure no one can usurp your privacy/hack in, b) you want to get into some region locked content, or c) you want to go to a foreign website and get pricing in the local currency.  I use a VPN on my phone when I travel, because I was tired of only pulling up sites in the language where I currently was or only getting prices in Euros when I went to an airline site.  I also couldn't reach my pharmacy website while abroad without a VPN saying I was in the U.S.

userra
Sun
Options
Computers
Okay, I do not need it then. Thank you.
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Computers

You most likely don't, but it won't hurt anything if you decide to have it.  It is a somewhat of a necessity, though, if you have a laptop you take out of your house, or on your phone, where you may access public networks.

userra
Sun
Options
Computers
No it doesn't apply but I'm glad I know more about VPNs now and thank you for your responses I appreciate that.
0 Likes
userra
Sun
Options
Computers
Have you used the phone's built in secured wifi button/ option? I tested it and spent 1 dollar usd for 24 hours and it was ideal and cool, but it had system maintenance for like 1 hour so I wasn't fully protected for 1 hour, but usually only use my carrier data and not much wifi for my phone. If it's wifi i only use my home wifi. But thought the built in protection for wifi was cool, wonder why it doesn't extend to carrier data, not like I need it now that you have explained it to me. 😄
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Computers
I have not, because years ago I got a free lifetime subscription to VPN Secure , and when I need to, I use that. I also have Malwarebytes for real-time protection (one subscription covers 3 devices for about $40/year)