JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Photos aren't downloaded from outlook into Contacts app

(Topic created: 03-26-2019 03:33 AM)
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I added my microsoft outlook account to the phone.  After it synced, I have two problems. 

First, I noticed that the photos were all missing.  Is there a way to make that happen?  It worked fine on my previous Lumia 950xl.

Second, I see too many entries there.  It looks like a lot of contacts that I deleted in outlook are still there.  When I have the People on the web exported, I noticed a bunch of junk in there too.  

So is there a problem with Contacts on the phone, a problem with outlook syncing, or a problem with both?  (or multiple problems with both)

0 Likes
JUMP TO SOLUTION
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Have you tried taking your outlook account oof of the phone and re-adding it?

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

MANY times, MANY ways, over the last 4 LONG days.  The main thing that keeps me going is SOMETHING I tried along the way showed the photos.  Then I had to fix a few entries on the web contacts and then resync and I haven't mangage to see them again since.  At one point I tried using google stuff instead of Outlook, but I just got more confused.  And I'm not sure if THAT was what made it work.

But if someone could document the exact steps to remove the account/outlook and recreate it all, I'd try that because maybe I'm just not doing it right.

At one time, I thought I hooked up Outlook to an Imap server.  And I was thinking that was what fixed Contacts, but I don't even seem to be able to do that hookup.

As I said, I'm at the place where I need step by step instructions.

0 Likes
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi there. I can confirm that when I add people to my phone, both contact information and photos transfer to the people web app (and PC desktop app). Literally just added someone on Monday with a photo and JUST checked the People Web App - they are there w/ the photo. 

I'm a former Windows Phone user too (950XL). I've owned an, S8, S9, and Note8. I've never had an issue as you describe. I did have the duplicate contact issue some random time like last year, but it corrected itself quickly within the day. I've noticed on previous phones listed above, when I setup the outlook email in the Native Samsung app, I get an email from Microsoft that basically says, "Hey, we've got an outlook app. Why don't you use that?" and then if you read lower it says something to the effect, "if you prefer not to use outlook, click here to begin sync'ing everything". So I click there and email, contacts, calendar etc begin syncing. 

Knowing that's the process with a Samsung phone, putting my outlook email on Samsung's native email app is the FIRST thing I do when powering on a new phone (assuming you registered your gmail through the initial setup screens). From there I wait for the email, click the link to begin sync'ing and then I go on my merry way. 

That said, and I hate saying this, it sounds like you've tried A LOT of stuff. I know resetting an Android Phone can be painful, but I might recommend you reset the phone and start from scratch. It sounds like you've tried everything I would have done and you still aren't having luck. After so much frustration, I would just say reset the phone and do as I've outlined above. Let me know how you make out. 

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

What about "favorites"?  Do they sync also?

0 Likes
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My favorites do sync from the PC edge browser so long as I'm using the Android Edge browser. No issues there

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I was asking about Contacts favorites.  I'm guessing you are talking about favorite web pages.

0 Likes
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Oh sorry, I dont use that feature. I can't confirm that one 

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
0 Likes
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, give this a shot.

Go to Settings > Apps > Show system Apps (click on the 3 vertical dots upper right of screen) >
 Outlook > Storage > Clear Data and Clear Cache. 
 Restart Phone

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have already tried that, to no avail.

0 Likes
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Also, it might help for you to go into your Microsoft account online and unregister your new phone from your devices associated with your outlook and then reset your phone over. From there Microsoft will recognize it as a brand new device and begin the sync'ing process as new

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
0 Likes