JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Remove Pop-up Ads

(Topic created: 07-21-2020 06:24 AM)
Ishmalian
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Has anyone else been getting random ads when unlocking their device? This just started happening a few days ago. Before then my s10 was working fine but for some reason now I am getting ads randomly when using the phone and whenever I unlock it to use it.

8 Replies
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @Ishmalian, random ads on your lockscreen will be caused by a third party app you've installed. To verify this, you can boot your phone into safe mode, which would temporarily disable third party apps which what we would be looking for is to see if the ads stopped while in safe mode.

To enter safe mode:

1. Press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears then release.
    Power button
  2. Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release.
  3. To confirm, tap Safe mode.
    Note The process may take up to 30 seconds to complete.
    Note Upon reboot, 'Safe mode' appears in the lower-left of the unlock / Home screen.
  4. With Safe Mode enabled, check your lock screen for ads as you previously stated you had.

If you can confirm the ads aren't present while in safe mode, you'll need to find which app you recently installed that is causing the ads to appear.

One trick you can do to find which apps contain ads is to open the Google Play Store>Menu>My apps & games>Click the "Installed" tab>Click on an app>Under the Open button, you'll see some text that indicates wheter or not the app contains ads. I've attached a screenshot for your reference.

Screenshot_20190327-110429_Google Play Store.jpg

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
userWDzNY19Gwv
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Wait for an ad to pop up, quickly go to your app switcher, long press on the app icon above the ad, go to "app info". The icon here may or may not match the one you saw in the app switcher, but this is the app pushing ads. Uninstall. Done.

userIMwJ5IC4MR
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey guys,  I FOUND THE OFFENDING APP! ( Or at least on of them)

It was NBC .. which applied an Update on July 3rd, 2019.

Screenshot_20190714-130648_Google Play Store.jpg

0 Likes
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @userIMwJ5IC4MR, thank you for that feedback. Your post is helpful to the community.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
--ariksempire
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Go to settings > google> google account > personalization data > add personalization. Then turn it off , when window pop up tap then visit your online choices then > continue. High light all this squares then press submit choices. Most of them will go away . But few might remain. Try it one by one same thing. After all if you 3 or 4 that's ok it helps me a lot . 99.99% is gone

userl3UMgCq9t8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've done this and also checked apps to see if they had ads and none did but I still get the ads when my phone goes into sleep mode and then wakes up. I deleted all of my nonessential ads and it still continues to happen. A few examples of the ads I get - Teleflex, Gibson Hill personal injury, The Street. Any more ideas on where these are coming from and how to get rid of them.

0 Likes
userF7f2c76A1F
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi. From my experience it happens when you download certain apps, that has pop ads they don't tell us about 🤷🏿‍:female_sign:

0 Likes
techie127
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

That's correct

0 Likes