Original topic:

Restore External Storage!

(Topic created: 17 hours ago)
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Samsung, it boggles my mind why your company keeps making better & faster microSD cards while denying users a flagship phone with which we can use them.

You keep trying to make Galaxy S phones lighter, thinner, faster... but they are all still one good drop away from all our personal data being lost.

Sure, regular backups to Samsung Cloud or our computer can help prevent data loss from a damaged phone - but so can a microSD card. I miss the days of getting a new phone, taking the microSD card out of the old one, sticking it in the new one and rocking on... now we have to use SmartSwitch and HOPE everything moves over (although it rarely does).

It can't be that difficult to put a dual tray in the S-Ultra - with SIM and microSD reader. And don't bother with the tired "internal storage is so much faster" excuse: if a user drops their phone and it won't power on, the fastest internal memory in the world won't help extract their files. Removing the microSD card, and putting it in a new phone, is a feature worth the extra cost.

Perhaps it's too late for the S25, but please restore the microSD slot for the S26. Thank you, Samsung!

3 Replies
WhiteShack
Halo
Options
Galaxy S Phones
So glad the SD card era is over. Cloud backup is way better. Tech needs to keep moving forward not backwards.
0 Likes
Rebel76
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Agree w/OP. Maybe it's a gen thing, but just like I prefer to have a hard copy of most docs, I like have that little bit of security & control over my data & memories. We're all so ridiculously reliant on Google & Apple, clouds & AI & all the G's, Fi's, NFC's, wallets, cams, & GPS navs knowing- myself included. With an SD backup, even if Google decides to delete me for some arbitrary, unspecified reason out of the blue and the AI posing as "human review" isn't quite experienced enough to understand nuance & approve my appeal, I won't lose 15+years of my life in ... (Photos, music, videos, etc). Try to remove 1 single major Google app & continue life as normal. Then get back to me.
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Case in point: I have a CD from an alternative group that I purchased back in the 1990s. Only one person in the band went on to fame and fortune as a solo artist... and apparently bought the band's catalog of songs. I had ripped my CD to my computer and uploaded it to YouTube Music. I suspect the artist had been out-voted on which version of a song went on a CD, and later sent HER favorite version out as the official one. When I streamed the album from YouTube Music, I was stunned to hear a version that completely changes the dynamic of the song: the only way to hear the original album version is with the file on my computer; or the CD itself.

So what happens if I back up files to the cloud (which is simply someone else's computer); and later some AI algorithm decides to start deleting a few files someone doesn't like? At least with the files in my possession, they can't be altered or removed by anyone else; and they won't be data mined to oblivion to build a consumer profile.
0 Likes