JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung wallet update- did it remove the mag stripe capability?

(Topic created: 07-07-2022 03:25 PM)
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Tried checking out today at my grocery store where the old samsung pay on my s10+ always worked with their old pinpads. Now with samsung wallet it didn't work. Does samsung wallet not support the old mag stripe?

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

had a chance to try it again and sure enough it still worked! I sure do love my S10+!

CWinkler

View solution in context

11 Replies
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yup. Samsung started gradually phasing out support for it last year. So even if it hadn't been disabled by Wallet another update would have killed it off later.
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

That sucks! My grocery store isn't upgrading pinpads until September, and I don't usually bring my credit cards in with me. Fortunately I had one today so I wasn't embarrassed at checkout. That's why I was still so happy with my S10+ and didn't see any reason to upgrade. Guess I shouldn't have updated Samsung Pay, but not sure if I had a choice.

CWinkler
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have the s10+ too. I've been holding off on upgrading myself, as I think this is a far superior phone for me. I use to upgrading biannually, if not annually, so I've gotting into buying new phone covers to change the look. I've got a couple that have a spot for a credit card that are handy when I'm not sure if the vender accepts NFC payments. Just a suggestion to tide you over till September.

Spigen Slim Armor CS Designed for Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus Case (2019) - Black https://a.co/d/ayOX4Mp

Samsung Galaxy S10+ LED Wallet Case, Black https://a.co/d/4Pu8C0d
(Expensive, but so much fun.)
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks! Yes, haven't been tempted by the S21 or S22 because I've been VERY happy with my S10+ (my first "order it before it's released" phone). Have seen those cases, but always wonder whether the wireless charger will still work with it or if I'd have to take the case off all the time. Or I guess could revert back to cable charge since the port probably isn't covered.

CWinkler
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I'm hanging on to my s10+ for as long as I can. So many features that it has that aren't in the s22 or s22. Not that I use them all, but they are there should I need them.
I normally swap to the cheaper case when shopping and cable charge in the car if I'm doing a lot of errands or something, so I've not tried to wireless charge with that case, but I don't think I would want to anyway as that would put the credit card in between the phone and charging pad. That can't be good even if it works.

The more expensive LED cover puts the card on top, next to the screen, and wireless charging definitely works on it. It even displays the current battery percentage when it starts charging.
JB247
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
MST still works for me with Wallet
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hmmm ... will have to try again when there's not someone behind me in the checkout line. What phone are you using? What version of Wallet do you have? I have S10+ and version 5.1.29

CWinkler
0 Likes
JB247
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Note 20 Ultra and version 5.1.29
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones