JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S21 Ultra - Oticon Hearing Aids

(Topic created: 01-14-2022 01:11 PM)
user4CY8rKqOOZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. 

Being told that my new phone is Hearing Aid Compatible, I purchased Oticon More 3 minirite hearing aids. I am not profoundly deaf; I have moderate to severe hearing loss. 

I have since been told by an Oticon representative; the hearing aids are NOT compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.  He told me my phone was  “too high end”, and I should just wear the aids and not use the app/blue-tooth/remote benefits………what???

He said they are compatible with a Samsung Galaxy S21, but NOT the Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.

Since they are not compatible, they only work “sometimes”, with the Oticon On app.

While blue-toothed to my phone, sometimes the right ear works, sometimes the left ear works, every now and then, they both work at the same time as they should.

When on the phone, calls are NEVER loud enough though the aids and the Oticon On app have them turned up as high as the aids and phone will go.  When driving, I can barely hear the other person at all.  In a very quiet office setting they are adequate, if the phone is turned up as loud as possible.

I have worked with my audiologist along with HER representative at Oticon.  I have driven back and forth to the audiologist’s office at least 8 times now (25 miles each way), I have only had the aids about three weeks. Settings have been changed, programs have been added and adjusted.  The aids are still not loud enough when on the phone and the left and right ear fade in and out whenever……

It was intimated that this is a Samsung problem and not an Oticon problem.  

Can this be true?? That it’s Samsung’s problem and not Oticon’s??

If my phone is NOT compatible with these hearing aids now, will there EVER be a software update that WILL make them compatible with my hearing aids and if so, when should I be expecting that update?

As anyone knows reading this, the hearing aids are not cheap, nor is a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. 

While once excited about the prospect of a new phone and hearing aids, I am disappointed and frustrated and I feel both Samsung and Oticon have totally misrepresented their products.

Is there ANYONE that can verify for me that my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G is or is NOT compatible with Oticon More 3 minirite hearing aids.

If it is NOT compatible, can you please tell me which hearing aid brands AND models, DO work properly with this phone.

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide.

10 Replies
Solution
Members_rXIdWck
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Oticon's blaming Samsung is basically . It's Oticon's software issue. 

I found this out while being fitted for hearing aids. We tried Oticon More 1s first. I had the intermittent Bluetooth issues. My Audiologist checked with Oticon support and they claim it's an incompatibility issue with Android 12 which is running on my S21 Ultra.  

I'm now trialing the Phonak Audeo P and they work flawlessly, so if you can, you might give those a try. I also like their audio processing more than Oticon's. Streaming with them is great! Phone calls too. 

I am a retired High Tech Engineering Executive and this kind of blaming between vendors is extremely common in the industry. It was one of the banes of my existence before I retired. It's obvious it's Oticon's problem and there are absolutely no other devices that I've found to have the problem with Bluetooth on Android 12. I have a lot of other devices, some from companies with horrible software, and they all work.

Bottom line, Oticon is off my list of vendors.

Regards,
Bill Finkelstein