JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Permanently Deleting blocked numbers from the phone

(Topic created: 03-04-2022 08:10 AM)
Members_Jt15tT1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have a need to permanently delete the numbers that I have blocked from my phone. Not Unblock,  but totally remove any trace of the number from my phone.

How can that be done? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
PaperStation
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm not against your reasoning for wanting it but if you understand how call blocking works the system will either use a black list or white list system. If you truly want to not have any list kept I would recommend you consider going the white listing method. Set the phone to only allow numbers in your contacts to come through instead of blocking individual numbers. There is no way for the phone to block a number and not keep a list to remember your desired preference. Your other options might be to look if you can block it from the carrier side that way you won't have to deal with seeing the number on your phone.

There will always be a list, but if your use case is that you simply don't want to see the numbers you can press the 3 dot menu in recent tab and choose hide blocked calls but a black list will always store the numbers you want block on the phone.

View solution in context

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S21
In the message app? Or the phone app?
0 Likes
Members_Jt15tT1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

The message app is what I am currently addressing but I would like to know how to perform the same task under the phone app.

0 Likes
client14htsmsg
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
No joke- what's the difference? This is a good question they asked; however, I don't even know the difference.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S21
You shouldn't be on other people's accounts
0 Likes
PaperStation
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
How do you expect the phone to know what numbers to block if you delete it. Blocking numbers uses a black list type of filter so it will require a list of numbers you want blocked.

Your other option would be to switch it to a white list ie making it block all unknown/private numbers but I don't see that as ideal you might block important texts or verification texts from banks etc
0 Likes
Members_Jt15tT1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Actually, in this case, the phone would internalize all blocked numbers so that they could not be seen. This addresses a specific issue and may not work for all users, but it could be a highly useful option.

0 Likes
PaperStation
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
and what if you want to unblock a number if you don't want a list to be ever seen or kept on record? or show have you seen a phone that doesn't keep a list cause on both Android and iOS I have seen a list remain present
0 Likes
Members_Jt15tT1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

This is for a specif requirement to remove all traces of numbers that are being used to harass and take advantage of an individual who is not able to defend themselves. There is no other what if here. We need it to be totally removed. Period.

0 Likes
Solution
PaperStation
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm not against your reasoning for wanting it but if you understand how call blocking works the system will either use a black list or white list system. If you truly want to not have any list kept I would recommend you consider going the white listing method. Set the phone to only allow numbers in your contacts to come through instead of blocking individual numbers. There is no way for the phone to block a number and not keep a list to remember your desired preference. Your other options might be to look if you can block it from the carrier side that way you won't have to deal with seeing the number on your phone.

There will always be a list, but if your use case is that you simply don't want to see the numbers you can press the 3 dot menu in recent tab and choose hide blocked calls but a black list will always store the numbers you want block on the phone.