JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Receiving video through text as a blurry image and audio file

(Topic created: 02-02-2023 07:54 PM)
NewtoS21
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have had this used phone for 2 months. I am not able to receive videos via Samsung Message or Google Messages app. They come through as a blurry fingernail image and the accompanying audio. I AM able to receive the same video via Facebook Messenger. This is coming from other Androids as well as Apple products. 

The sim card came from my old Apple phone. I returned the sim card to the apple and turned off the messaging then returned the sim card to the S21. No luck. I then performed a factory reset. No luck. The android sender is on an older phone and created the video via the camera app (not through the text camera app). I searched and found a couple instances of this in the past 2 years but no solution. 

11 Replies
sarcastic_sunflower
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Yeah, I'm sorry, op. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a solution and often just resort to sending through other apps like Facebook, Snapchat, etc.
Rags13
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I've wondered if it was just something the kids may have done in my settings or hackers or whatever...
But my phone goes back and forth about receiving mms messages. I just ask folks to use other apps too.
0 Likes
NewtoS21
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

So this is a known issue and there is no resolution to date? Do you know if it is specific to the S21? 

0 Likes
NotHughMahn
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
This is an issue that is based on network companies not working with phone manufacturers to be able to send atleast 480p video. It's best to use social media messaging apps to send files as there is less compression.
Options
Galaxy S21
Hello my fellow galaxy friend it must be a compatibility issue
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21
When an apple user sends a video to us samsung user, the network companies are not able to send a video in 'good' resolution. It compresses the video. If you want to have better video quality from sent items, use a social app or whatsapp.
0 Likes
NewtoS21
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

It compresses down to a split audio and image. Is there a way to lower my 'resolution receipt' so I can get any video, even grainy? I cannot get a video from an S8 either but I can send him video and it's clear on the S8. Could this be a glitch in the S21 phone (aka I bought a damaged phone.) Any diagnostics I can run to test?  

0 Likes
WhiteEagle49
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I have a new A13 and after I updated to the latest Samsung Amdroid release, the Messages app can't download photos texted from an S21 or an IPhone. I could do this before the update to One UI Core 5 on 01/30/3023.
Solution
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

There's nothing wrong with the phone.  As others have stated, this is a carrier network issue.  MMS messages are limited by spec to around 1mb though that varies a little depending on the carrier. 

It used to be less of a noticeable problem before cameras were HD and greater, now the files are just too big. 

If the older phone is a Samsung with the ability to send the video by creating a link then that's the way to go otherwise use a WiFi app like Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor