JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Terrible UX when unlocking via fingerprint on One UI 5.0/5.1

(Topic created: 03-11-2023 12:36 PM)
userQFjmYwa6c6
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Samsung introduced a new feature to tap and hold on lockscreen to enter into a lockscreen editing mode in One UI 5.0
This means when trying to unlock the phone on lockscreen by pressing on the in display fingerprint sensor, if you don't perfectly align your finger onto the small sensor region the lockscreen immediately enters into the lockscreen editing mode. It's a pain to exit that mode and try that because of how the UX has been implemented there. 

This has happened multiple times given how small the finger print sensor is. Samsung need to improve UX on lockscreen for devices with in display fingerprint sensors by decoupling editing mode by pressing away near the fingerprint sensor
7 Replies
Turdle2008
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
Press a little bit more to the side... or it's because how small your display is...
0 Likes
userQFjmYwa6c6
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
It isn't more so that the display is small. The margin for error leads to terrible UX while unlocking your phone. This isn't an issue when the fingerprint is a physical scanner since your finger knows exactly where to press without looking down at it. With in display fingerprint scanners there's no sensory feedback to if your finger placement is perfect and sometimes in a rush you press a little to the side of the sensor which results in this frustrating experience
0 Likes
Turdle2008
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
I personally have a screen protector that has a circle for where your finger should go so I know where to press and where not to press
0 Likes
Solution
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
If you don't like it you could always toggle off Touch and Hold to Edit I personally have not had any issues with what you are describing
userQFjmYwa6c6
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Thank you! I think this was the solution I was looking for
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
Please mark as solution for others that might have an issue
0 Likes
DarkPhox
Sun
Options
Galaxy S21
I honestly didn't even know this existed till this post. Then again I have had my S21 Ultra since 2021 so I have a pretty good muscle memory of where the scanner is on my phone