JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Confused by two Samsung message badge icons

(Topic created: 03-17-2023 04:21 PM)
Blubarb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

I am pretty much new to Samsung phone and have the S22 Ultra. I have recently noticed that there appears to be two message apps that I can elect as default. One is the traditional three horizontal dots in a white balloon in a blue squircle while the other is similarly placed but it is two chat balloons-bubbles, one black one blue. My question is what is this second message badge and how does it differ from the first more traditional horizontal dots type and which should I be using?

4 Replies
PurplePapaya
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
The app icon with the 3 dots is Samsung Messages. Not sure about the other, but might be Google Messenges.

Simply press and hold on the icon, a menu will pop up. Press the little (i) to see more information. Then scroll down until you see "App Details in Store". Once you press that, it'll take you to the Play Store and show you which app it is as well as more detailed information about it.
Options
Galaxy S22
There are the google messages and the samsumg messages. Personally I set the samsung messages as default because it is compatible with a lot of things like bixby and galaxy accessories.
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@Blubarb The icon for Google messages used to be almost exactly the same as Samsung messages. Now they are different. 

• Samsung messages is the one with the 3 dots in the bubble. 
  • Google message has a new icon and it looks like this:

Screenshot_20221024_121047_Settings.jpg

You can use either one. If you select one which is not the default, you will get a prompt to set the default. 

user1N4oshuq1e
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Can you still use the old Samsung icon instead of the 3 dots?
0 Likes