JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How can I get rid of HEIC?

(Topic created: 07-04-2023 08:15 PM)
iamfab2023
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Can someone give me directions on how to remove the annoying HEIC on my Samsung galaxy s22 plus, there isn't an option for it, I checked you tube. I went to gallery went to the 3 lines and looked where I should be able to swapped that option off. It is not there. I need to have jpg, i have upload my identity... that irs identity me....please any useful help is much appreciated.

7 Replies
Solution
Options
Galaxy S22
Open your camera app > click the gear (settings) icon > advanced picture options > turn High Efficiency Pictures to off.
Options
Galaxy S22
@iamfab2023 it is in your camera settings on your device. tap the :gear: on the top left when you launch camera, tap advanced picture options and uncheck high efficiency images

please ❤️ and mark this reply as solution :3 if you need anything else feel free to dm me.
iamfab2023
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Thank you so much, it worked perfectly, you are a life saver.👍🏾😊
Options
Galaxy S22
you're more than welcome
0 Likes
Biggus
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
For existing pictures if you re-save in gallery they'll be jpeg, because even their own gallery can't save the things.

The camera only uses 8-bit HEIC anyway which eliminates the only *real* benefit of the format (even with 10-bit it has too many downsides to be useful) since the moderate compression improvement doesn't matter with the amount of storage available on modern phones even after microsdxc was removed from most of them.
0 Likes
Dianee
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
How do you resale a picture? I could be missing an obvious feature
0 Likes
Biggus
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
Oh, do any edit to it (just adjust brightness by 1 in either direction if you don't want to change much, or crop like I usually have to anyway) and it'll save as a jpeg, at least on my phone. Seemingly only the camera is able to save as HEIC (another good sign that it isn't all that useful).

HEIF and AV1F are both solutions to space and bit depth problems that were already solved by JPEG2000 a good 20 years ago.
0 Likes