JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Is it possible to change messaging apps and transfer all messages to the new app?

(Topic created: Friday)
Mack50
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

I have two messaging apps on my Galaxy S22 (probably transferred from old phones).  They are both  called Messages.  The one I am using has solid white background with a two tone blue text bubble.  The other one that I am not using has a solid blue background with a white text bubble with three dots.  I want to switch to the the text messaging app with the solid blue background with a white text bubble with three dots.

Several answers I found were to just change the default text messaging app. and the new default app will have all your messages from the first app.  One person said he tried this and lost all his messages.

I've search for this topic but have not found an answer I am comfortable with since some say I may loose my text messages completely if I try to switch.  I'm hoping that someone here can give me a correct and safe way of doing this.

I have my messages backed up on Google and have a backup on my computer (Samsung Smart Switch).

Thank you very much for your help.

11 Replies
Ken63
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
(^-^)1720810244694.gif1720810248345.gif
0 Likes
Twistedp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
One is samsung massage and the other is google massages which one are you trying to use
Boneman13
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
Help with technicians
0 Likes
Solution
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22
Switching Google (Solid bubble) to Samsung message (3 dots) you will not lose your messages, just change the default.

You will, however be switching to an inferior product. Samsung Messages does not have as many features as Google Messages, especially with Iphones come September adoption of RCS. You will only be able to send and receive full res photos and Videos in Google Messages, sent and read receipts, tying indicators, reactions with emoji etc .
If it is a prettier product you want, by all means use the inferior product
Mack50
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

Thanks for the information Robin 621k.  If I understand your reply correctly, all I have to do is change the default app to Samsung Messages and all my current saved messages in Google Messages will automatically be copied to Samsung Messages?  Also, the main reason I am thinking about changing my default message app to Samsung Messages is because Google Messages does not appear to have a "Trash" or "Deleted Items" folder (at least I cant find it).  Samsung Messages messages has a Trash folder where I can retrieve accidentally deleted messages.  The other reason is that with Samsung Messages it has an option to select All the messages for deletion, which puts a check mark next to all the texts in that Conversation but will also allow you to deselect certain conversations you wish to keep.  If I have 30 text messages from a person, I can select the check box to select All Texts then deselect the few I wish to keep.  That is a very convenient feature.  

Does Google Messages have these two features?  If so I will continue to use Google Messages if it is a better app than Samsung Messages.

0 Likes
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22
You can't select all, then deselect, once you long press on one just select the ones you want deleted.
A new feature coming soon is an edit feature , you will be able to unsend or edit a text message, within 15 or unread.
Google has the ability to archive conversations too. They is no trash feature.
meself
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
The blue one is Samsung messages the white is Google to change goto apps scrolling down to the one you want to use change to default
Mack50
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

Just to make sure, if I change the default app to Samsung Messages, all my current saved messages in Google Messages will automatically be copied to Samsung Messages?  I just want to make sure I'm not going to loose my current saved messages in Google Messages.

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes when you switch from Samsung messages to Google messages, all of your messages and conversations will still be there in both apps