JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Side panel customization

(Topic created: 03-31-2022 08:52 AM)
userHd7zCjS0Kw
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

I've a new S22 Ultra, and just discovered the side panel.

I am delighted by this clever feature, and frustrated by it as well.  But maybe I've missed something, so posting here.

I was frustrated that it was not possible to have more than 5 apps in the bottom-of-the-screen bar (moving to S22 from LG V20), but the Side Panel seems more useful and solves that problem.

Now that I love the side panel, I'm thinking of this as prime 'real estate' on my screen.  So, I'm frustrated by the top 4 items that the S22 seems to have total control of,  and isn't being very helpful.  For example,  it keeps putting the standard calendar app up there.  I use a different calendar app (Business Calendar Pro), so I'd like the S22 to stop wasting space up at the top with the icon for the standard calendar.  I thought I'd figured out how to fix that -- I can pull the icon down to the lower group, then remove it; but, then the S22 puts it back up in the top group.  Aaarrgh.  It also assumes I want the calculator and Pictures apps, neither of which I use very often.  For a while it was putting the Settings icon up there, which (especially while I deal with my new phone) was useful, but not that has disappeared just when I want to use it, in favor of Google's authenticator app.

Can I get rid of the grid of 4 Smart-ly (stupidly) selected app icons at the top and just have icons for apps I'd like in the top of the Side Bar?  I read somewhere that there are alternative Side Bar screens that can be downloaded, but it seems the S22 is too smart to allow me to do that.  If I can get alternatives, how?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22

@userHd7zCjS0Kw to remove the recent apps from the side panel:

1. Slide open the side panel.
  2. Click the 3 lines at the bottom of the side panel.
  3. Click on Edit.
  4. Click the 3 dots in upper right.
  5. Turn off "Show recent apps"

To get more side panels:

1. Slide open the side panel
  2. Click the gear icon near the bottom middle of the screen. It disappears after a few seconds if you don't click on it. 
  3. Now you will see the list of panels installed. Some may be disabled.  You will also see a "Galaxy Store" button to look for more panels. 

View solution in context

6 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22

@userHd7zCjS0Kw to remove the recent apps from the side panel:

1. Slide open the side panel.
  2. Click the 3 lines at the bottom of the side panel.
  3. Click on Edit.
  4. Click the 3 dots in upper right.
  5. Turn off "Show recent apps"

To get more side panels:

1. Slide open the side panel
  2. Click the gear icon near the bottom middle of the screen. It disappears after a few seconds if you don't click on it. 
  3. Now you will see the list of panels installed. Some may be disabled.  You will also see a "Galaxy Store" button to look for more panels. 
userHd7zCjS0Kw
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

YES!!!  That's the bit I needed to know.  THANKS!

0 Likes
Members_RMJOYTa
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

There are not 3 lines at the bottom of the edge panel, nor 3 dots at the top right of any panel screen I can get to, so this is NOT a solution.

LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22

@userHd7zCjS0Kw BTW, when you open a side panel, you can swipe left or right on the panel to move between panels that are enabled. 

0 Likes
userHd7zCjS0Kw
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

Evidently I don't have any other side panels enabled.  How would I do that?

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S22

@userHd7zCjS0Kw "Evidently I don't have any other side panels enabled.  How would I do that?"

Once you install the other side panel(s):

1. Swipe open the side panel
  2. Click the gear icon
  3. If you don't see a blue checkmark above the panel, click the empty circle to enable the panel. BTW, here you can also click the 3 dots to reorder the panels. 
  4. Now when you open the side panel you can swipe between your active panels. 
0 Likes