Original topic:

Turn off 5g

(Topic created: 09-27-2023 04:48 AM)
bob1373
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
I live in an area where 5g is not very reliable and would like to turn off 5g. My wife's s10+ gets better reception than my s22+ and Iam wonder if it is because the s22+ is trying to use 5g where the s10+ is always using 4g lte. Would like to test my theory but don't see how to turn off 5g on the phone. We use Spectrum Mobile which runs on the Verizon network as our service provider. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
I'm also a Spectrum Mobile customer here is what you need download Samsung Band Selection once downloaded open and tap on More Network Settings and then tap on Verizon (even though it's Spectrum) then tap on Preferred Network Type I use this myself for the same reason unfortunately I'm in the Beta and it is broken so I'm stuck with 5g

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 Replies
Options
Galaxy S22
A lot of times this is due to the mobile network operator. In my case I can't turn off 5G either because Verizon does not allow it
Solution
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
I'm also a Spectrum Mobile customer here is what you need download Samsung Band Selection once downloaded open and tap on More Network Settings and then tap on Verizon (even though it's Spectrum) then tap on Preferred Network Type I use this myself for the same reason unfortunately I'm in the Beta and it is broken so I'm stuck with 5g
0 Likes
bob1373
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks I will give this a try and see how it works in my area.
0 Likes
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22
It works great I switched it to 4g/LTE and kept it that way because there are quite a few places in my area that it would be connected to 5g but not work but 4g is just fine besides the fact that 5g uses more battery and data also I don't see a difference between them for what I do (streaming or scrolling social media)
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
So I have the optimal way to not only disable all 5g bands on your phone but also you would have full control of the phones signal bands it uses or doesn't use, force enable carrier aggregation, and every single other facet of the phones cellular programming. The downside is that if you don't know what something is or does DO NOT TOUCH THE SETTING because you absolutely have the power to destroy your phone if you just start playing with menus or options that you don't understand. I have T-Mobile and using what's called the phones RF menu which is a subcategory of the service mode menu, I not only was able to override T-Mobile's default band selection, but force sub 6ghz+mmWave 5g to be enabled, doubled my LTE speed by turning on the boost LTE power setting and force enabled 4x4mimo along with a slew of other things that resulted in gaining over 200 more Mbps download on 4g LTE and I went from around 600 Mbps to over 1 GBps! Also I now have updated my MM-Wave firmware for better performance and I get better signal from enabling every single gsm band that the S22 Ultra supports.
While all of this and so much more is possible, it is also possible to hit the wrong option and lose all cell programming, delete the carrier off your SIM, delete sensor calibrations and much more that would render your phone a literal paperweight. If you can follow strick directions, there's virtually no risk unless you somehow hit something accidentally. But it's actually a dialer code that allows you into your devices programming mode. You can disable 5g in less than a minute using only the RF menu dialer code. That gives access to what cellular bands your phone will accept, you would just have to disable each of the 5g bands and save them exit the menu and your instantly done. No reboot is even needed to do that. I'm not sure what the rules are on things like that here, because it's technically hacking but your hacking your own phone under your own discretion so idk if I can post a 5g disable tutorial here or not.
You would just uncheck number 6 the NR bands as NR means 5g then apply configuration and you instantly fixed your issue. Also is reversible whenever you want, just recheck the NR bands and apply again and you instantly have 5g again.
I would think that if I gave you the instructions, a mod would intervene as this is not a hacking and development forum, it's Samsungs official forum and Samsung definitely doesn't want any of us in this menu 😅 You can disable Knox and change CSC, force unlock extra Samsung menus, etc. The information is out there there are great houses that's all I'll say as I don't want to be banned. *Also I am not suggesting you do this, I accept no liability for any damage or loss of cellular availability. The choice and responsibility is completely on you if you decide to try it* Screenshot_20230928_214750_Service mode RIL.jpg
smallville84
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
What is the dialer code
bob1373
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
@ricketypumpkin thanks for the detailed option. At this time I will probably stick with using the Samsung Band Selector so I don't mess up the phone accidentally.