Original topic:

Ultrasonic fingerprint reader issues

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
Options
Galaxy S22
To all those out there with a Samsung S series phone (especially Ultra fans), why do we continuously have issues with the ultrasonic fingerprint reader? Since my purchase of the S22 ultra of 2 yrs ago, I frequently struggle to unlock my phone when pressing on the fingerprint reader. Will Samsung ever get it right with under the glass technology? Maybe Samsung should just place the fingerprint reader within the power button. 
0 Likes
19 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22

Are you putting your finger at the angle you set up the fingerprint as? If you set up the fingerprint with you finger straight and tap the scanner at an off angle or from the side, it won't read. My fingerprint reads perfectly every time, except if my angle is too extreme. This is why they ask you to move your finger around as you record your fingerprint.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
I place my fingers in the same position as any one of the ways it was registered. If I set up the prints in different positions, it's supposed to recognize any one of those positions, correct? It's not that I'm placing my fingers upside down on the scanner. I usually place my fingers on the scanner while holding the phone in the palm of my hand(natural position). So it's not my positioning of my fingers. It's the scanner that is inconsistent. You might have a phone that doesn't have issues. It's a common thing with Samsung phones. (quality control)
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
Look... when registering fingerprints, we are supposed to move the finger around in different positions when registering. Therefore, the scanner will be able to recognize the finger if we place it on the scanner in a slightly different position every time we try to unlock the phone. There is no way we will place our fingers in the same precise position as we registered the fingerprints at the beginning. So that's why when we register the prints, we must move the finger around so it will scan different positions of the fingers.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
FYI... Since I'm right-handed, I register my right thumb and my right index finger to unlock my phone. Also, I place the phone in the palm of my right hand and use the thumb to unlock, and sometimes I try using the index finger of my right hand when my thumb seems to not work. Either way, both fingers have issues unlocking the phone. I also tried registering the same finger 4x, and that didn't help either. It's not me, its the lousy ultrasonic fingerprint reader. I'm not the only one who's had these issues, by the way.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22

I register three - one on the other hand. when I'm at my desk, I keep my phone to the left of me, so as not to interfere with my mouse. If it locks, I can unlock it without taking my hand off the mouse or picking it up.

0 Likes
Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
There could be a piece of fuzz or very little scratch or a smudge under the protector or there coud have been something on the screen its self. And you need to check with carrier or dealer. Because some samsung models come with the gorilla glass with a screen protector pre installed and you can barely notice its there. Besides that i would say get you a diffrent brand and different material protector
Options
Galaxy S22
I like Samsung, but I may have to move on to another brand like you say. I always clean the screen thoroughly before applying a screen protector. Usually, I get Samsung's screen protector, and so I don't know what else to say anymore. 🤷
0 Likes
Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
Well the only thing I know worked for me one time was to register the same thumb of hand you hold the phone with(that's just what I do)three times just a little variation on where it scans and that helped it get a better reading of print I think. But I thought maybe you have tried that
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes, I tried that, too. I registered the same finger 4x, and it didn't make a difference.
0 Likes
Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S22
I'm with you on this on🤷