JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Voltage requirements when traveling

(Topic created: 07-18-2022 08:12 AM)
userR9dL6b8NYK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I'm headed from the US to Egypt where they use 220v.  I assume that the new smartphones are all dual voltage, but I can't find any confirmation online.  Does anyone know if the phones are dual voltage and can use the 220v?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

That is correct.  ANY USB charger that accepts 220v input will output the same voltage via USB as this is a standard worldwide (5v by default)  If the charger has a USB-C port then it is even better, as it will likely Fast Charge so long as a USB-C cord with PD (Power Delivery) is used.

View solution in context

5 Replies
stanl56
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
Phones are not dual voltage! You need a charger that will be compatible with the 220v European to what ever you phone uses.
Stanl56
Samsung Care Ambassador
Unlocked Galaxy S20 Ultra (SM-988U1)
on AT&T
If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as "Solved."

0 Likes
userR9dL6b8NYK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Thanks for your feedback.  I also read that as long as the device is being charged by a USB cable and the USB cable is plugged into an adapter that accepts the 'new' voltage (my adapter max is 250v), then the device can be charged without needing an additional converter since the USB is pulling directly from the adapter that is compliant.  In theory that sounds accurate, but I wonder if you know more on that?

0 Likes
Solution
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

That is correct.  ANY USB charger that accepts 220v input will output the same voltage via USB as this is a standard worldwide (5v by default)  If the charger has a USB-C port then it is even better, as it will likely Fast Charge so long as a USB-C cord with PD (Power Delivery) is used.

userR9dL6b8NYK
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Thank you for that confirmation!

0 Likes
Userxyzcanyon
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
How do you know if a charger accepts 220 voltage?
0 Likes