Original topic:

Being included in random group texts S23 FE?

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
Dianna61977
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23

Ever since I got my S23 FE, I have repeatedly gotten included in group texts with these random numbers, and I save them and block them, then they still text me. I have my group texts turned off. Also, I had to download the AT&T visual voicemail when I first got the phone and they sent me a text with the link, now I get 30-40 texts a day with that same link, but it appears to be coming from me, like I'm texting it. 

14 Replies
Dianna61977
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
Here are screenshots of the texts. 1713511043295.jpg1713511051671.jpg1713511051701.jpg
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
Did you get the S23FE through AT&T as part of a promo or happen to get a new number through them at that time?
0 Likes
Dianna61977
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
I upgraded with the same number, but it was a promotional deal. I have had AT&T for like 15 years.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
Could've been part of the deal and it's very much a "if you don't ask, we don't tell" type of situation.
Options
Galaxy S23
Either way, AT&T likely has a clause that allows them to essentially give out your number to other companies and agencies. Similar to selling your data but technically sharing your number "for marketing and research purposes"
You can block your own phone number from the stock Samsung dialer app through the apps settings you'll see the block number feature and add your own number. Not sure what messaging app you use but Google messages allows you to report and block any number or person. These combined, will stop the same numbers from contacting you again, if new numbers take over just repeat the process, it will stop eventually. Unfortunately the phone has nothing to do with it but it does give you the tools to combat the issue. I've stopped many of these habitual spammers using this method. Be careful what services you sign up for that ask for a number, it's usually optional and never include it if it's optional. If you don't see this symbol * next to where it's asking for a number, it's optional!
0 Likes
Dianna61977
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
That's interesting, because they keep naming the group text after a contact in my phone, which is the USPS Tracking. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not. I can change the name though. It's almost like the texts are coming from me.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
Yeah I'd immediately block every individual number that is a part of the group chat. What app are you using for texting? It looks a bit 3rd party and if so then it 100% has access to your contacts list, any texting application needs that permission but if you aren't using Google messages or Samsung messaging, it could be the app you're using.
0 Likes
Dianna61977
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
No it's the regular Samsung app
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

That looks like a carrier thing, not a Samsung thing. It might be remotely related to your phone upgrade, only if you got your phone from AT&T.  Can you not reply "STOP" to the messages?  I can't read the messages because of your color scheme.  I don't know how you can read it, let alone ask the rest of us to.

0 Likes