JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Music on S23 failed to play track for WM3 and most MP3 files

(Topic created: 08-05-2023 09:14 PM)
Das Capitolin
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

The Samsung Music app (version 16.2.32.1) on the Samsung S23 fails to play tracks for WM3 format songs, and also fails to play most of MP3/MP4 tracks even though there is no DRM. Uncompressed FLAC format plays without issue.

Cosmo2023
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I did have it backed up from my older Samsung..that might be it..
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
It did work fine on my S22 Ultra but I use PowerAmp and Spotify so I didn't try it on this phone
0 Likes
Cosmo2023
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I believe its only with the S23. Why would Samsung decide to eliminate support for their app on their phone. I have my entire music library on the phone and now have to use a 3rd party app. Just opens security risks..
king_james17
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
No issues with samsung music on my s23 ultra every is working 👌🏾 😎
0 Likes
BSGViperJockey
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Try downloading the current version from the Samsung store, when I switch from my 8+ to Note 20 Ultra it did the same thing with Samsung Music and several other apps. All I had to do was update the app through the app store.
0 Likes
Cosmo2023
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
App was updated but could try reinstall.
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
if you're music files are .wma, Samsung Music won't play it. try VLC from the Play Store.
0 Likes
Cosmo2023
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
All mp3 files. Thx
Sarge2
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
I have had the same issue and just decides to upload app referred to above called VLC and have absolutely no issues plus my video's can be viewed VLC as well.
Best of luck.
Solution
Das Capitolin
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

According to the publishers of Samsung Music all new phones from S21 onward cannot play WMA/WMV encoded audio, including FLAC:

"Due to changes in our codec support policy, WMA/WMV codecs are no longer supported from new products in 2021. Regarding the use of WMA/WMV codecs, due to service policy, it has been decided that WMA and WMV codecs will no longer be supported starting with the new Google Android OS (11.0). Therefore, the WMA/WMV codec is not supported on the S21 model and can only be played on external applications that support WMA/WMV. It may be inconvenient, but you can play it by downloading a player app that supports the WMA/WMV codec from the Google Play Store, so please install a player that supports the WMA/WMV codec and use it."