JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Security compare to Samsung and Google

(Topic created: 03-15-2023 03:28 PM)
CezarX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I got a s23 ultra and was informed by a saleman at Best Buy that Samsung Knox security is a lot better than Android Security. He says even though the updated for Android OS might roll late from the manufacturer into my device, the Knox Security will protect my phone even further until Samsung is ready to release their modifed updated into my device.

Can anyone verify if this is true?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Abhaya71
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
To give you a more coherent answer.

Android security is multi layered including Google play.

In terms of Knox it is not an active security protocol and can't do anything about hacking or active exploits. It is more a way to keep your hardware secure and certain file location secure. It verifies boot up within the kernel and file signature for updates.

It is more secure than other Android OEM'S but it works with Android security. Android apps are sandboxed so that system files can't be corrupted by Apps. The user is not in a privileged state so permission must be given to install software.

Updates are the best way to be safe on any mobile device. No way around that. If there is a new zero day vulnerability for Android only an update will fix that and Knox will not help.

Knox is part of a multi layered approach to security.

Keep your device updated is most important, don't install apps from sources you can't trust, i.e. Side loading apps, don't click on texts or emails with links in them and if you don't recognize the sender best to just delete and not open it. Don't fall for website that say you need to install something to protect your device. Don't use websites you don't trust. Use play protect to scan your apps every so often.

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
Abhaya71
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
To give you a more coherent answer.

Android security is multi layered including Google play.

In terms of Knox it is not an active security protocol and can't do anything about hacking or active exploits. It is more a way to keep your hardware secure and certain file location secure. It verifies boot up within the kernel and file signature for updates.

It is more secure than other Android OEM'S but it works with Android security. Android apps are sandboxed so that system files can't be corrupted by Apps. The user is not in a privileged state so permission must be given to install software.

Updates are the best way to be safe on any mobile device. No way around that. If there is a new zero day vulnerability for Android only an update will fix that and Knox will not help.

Knox is part of a multi layered approach to security.

Keep your device updated is most important, don't install apps from sources you can't trust, i.e. Side loading apps, don't click on texts or emails with links in them and if you don't recognize the sender best to just delete and not open it. Don't fall for website that say you need to install something to protect your device. Don't use websites you don't trust. Use play protect to scan your apps every so often.
CezarX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Thank you for in-depth explaination.

I really need that and your cautious advises.

Thank you again.
0 Likes