JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

xlsx in secure folder

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
Members_7lMejMc
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I am trying to open an xlsx file in secure folder.  Before transferring it, it opens fine with Sheets.  But in secure folder, it is requiring me to use Office 365, which I do not have and don;t want.  Is there a setting to make it work with Sheets?

Using One UI 6.1, Android 14, latest versions.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Members_7lMejMc
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I asked Windows Copilot AI how to do this and it gave me an acceptable method for my purposes, along with an explanation. So I can keep my files in Secure Folder and move them out temporarily when I need to access them:

Samsungā€™s Secure Folder uses enhanced security measures to protect your files, which can sometimes limit the apps that can access them. Microsoft 365 apps, like Excel, are often required to open files in Secure Folder because they are designed to handle encrypted and secure environments. This ensures that your sensitive data remains protected while being accessed.

If you prefer to use a different app, you might need to move the file out of the Secure Folder temporarily. However, this could compromise the security of the file, so itā€™s important to weigh the risks.

View solution in context

5 Replies
Rayzer
Sun
Options
Galaxy S23
Microsoft Excel is available as a complimentary download for individuals who do not wish to subscribe to Microsoft Office 365. While I can confirm its functionality within a secure folder, I am unable to provide information regarding its compatibility with your specific program sheets.
Have you tried changing your default apps to specify the program you want to use?
Open your secure folder and select the three dots, go into settings, and specify the applications.
0 Likes
0riginulll
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
Would it work if you save it as a CSV file ? Maybe upload it to Google Drive and then open from there using Sheets.
0 Likes
Members_7lMejMc
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Good thoughts.  But a csv still tries top open Office 365, which I have no use for.  Tried moving a Google Sheet into Secure Folder and it gave me the option of Office or Samsung Notes, which is another app I have not used.  Bit of a disappoint, before some upgrade, you could use the stock phone apps without creating more accounts and rigamarole. 

0 Likes
Solution
Members_7lMejMc
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I asked Windows Copilot AI how to do this and it gave me an acceptable method for my purposes, along with an explanation. So I can keep my files in Secure Folder and move them out temporarily when I need to access them:

Samsungā€™s Secure Folder uses enhanced security measures to protect your files, which can sometimes limit the apps that can access them. Microsoft 365 apps, like Excel, are often required to open files in Secure Folder because they are designed to handle encrypted and secure environments. This ensures that your sensitive data remains protected while being accessed.

If you prefer to use a different app, you might need to move the file out of the Secure Folder temporarily. However, this could compromise the security of the file, so itā€™s important to weigh the risks.

0riginulll
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
You can password protrct office documents but i don't think so in Google. I used notes the other day it is cool . Just depends what you're trying to do.
0 Likes