JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Where are originals stored after an image is edited in the Gallery App?

(Topic created: 05-29-2024 11:30 PM)
Steerpike58
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I just edited an image in the Samsung Gallery App (edit (pencil), then three dots, then 'resize', choosing 1600x1200).  This reduced the size of an image from about 4MB down to under 1MB.  I went into the 'My Files' app on my phone, and navigated to Internal Storage / DCIM / Camera, and could see the updated image file with the appropriate name and file size.   I also connected the phone via USB to my windows laptop, and saw the exact same image file (with reduced size) in windows explorer. 

I then went back into the Gallery app, opened the same image, then used 'edit' (pencil) and then 'Revert'.  This 'undid' the resample action, restoring the image to 4000x3000.  I went into the 'My Files' app again, and found the image file, which was now back to the original 4MB size.  This was again confirmed in Windows Explorer via the USB cable. 

My question is - the gallery app 'must' be keeping a copy of the original file in order to support this 'Revert' option - you cannot 'recreate' a 4MB 4000x3000 file from a 1 MB 1600x1200 file (at least, not without massive quality loss). But I could not find this file on the phone; not by using the 'My Files' app, nor Windows Explorer.  I had 'hidden files' turned on, and I could see a bunch of ".trashed...." files, so I know that hidden files were visible. 

Basically, I want to delete the original image altogether because I don't want it to occupy any space.  That space 'must' be occupied, since the 'revert' option is available. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
That's a way to do that by activating 'MyFiles Labs'.

Go to My Files settings >> About My Files >> tap on the 'My Files' several times until it shows 'enabke MyFiles Labs'

Then go back to My Files settings >> MyFlies Labs >> Original files of edited image/video files >> you can select and delete them all

However, you need to be really sure that you don't want the original files

View solution in context

4 Replies
Solution
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23
That's a way to do that by activating 'MyFiles Labs'.

Go to My Files settings >> About My Files >> tap on the 'My Files' several times until it shows 'enabke MyFiles Labs'

Then go back to My Files settings >> MyFlies Labs >> Original files of edited image/video files >> you can select and delete them all

However, you need to be really sure that you don't want the original files
Steerpike58
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Thank you SO MUCH for that!  This is exactly what I was looking for. 

I wish there was a way to view the files via USB cable from Windows Explorer, but I guess that's asking for too much! 

Is there no way within the Gallery app to 'merge' the edits into the original, achieving the same effect as deletion the original? It's a nice feature that you can always 'revert' - fully appreciate the value - but there are times when you simply don't need that feature.  Would 'remaster' have a role to play in this ?  Thanks again! 

0 Likes
G-MAC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I can't get all of my photos up on my New Android Phone, Nada, Nothing.. Help me
0 Likes
whatever6263
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Did this, but how do I open that image then? I don't want to delete rhe image but can't find it in my gallery, only on files labs
0 Likes