Original topic:

All text messages and conversations are muted by default. Where can this setting be changed?

(Topic created: 02-07-2024 06:55 AM)
Members_Xy7gRrp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I have seen the instructions for how to unmute specific conversations, and yes I can do that one conversation at a time, but I shouldn't have to. Also, the option to select all texts and unmute them all at once is not available on my phone. Regardless, I don't just want to unmute current conversations, I want all new text messages to not be unmuted by default instead of the other way around.

I do not have Do Not Disturb on, and deleted previous DND auto settings for overnight JIC, but new texts are still coming in muted by default.

Any ideas what might be causing it, or other options to try?

Thanks

0 Likes
10 Replies
LauraRG
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Which messaging app are you using?
0 Likes
Members_Xy7gRrp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Messages. AFAIK, the regular Samsung messaging that comes with the phone. I didn't add a different one.

0 Likes
userCiwdX19att
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I am having this same issue as well.

0 Likes
SamsungModerator1
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello all, thank you for reaching out about this. What do you see when you press and hold on any conversation, then check all, and press the notification button? What do you see in your messaging app's submenu at the top (3 dots or 3 lines)? Can you confirm what messaging application it is?

0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

I just followed your instructions, thinking I was getting text message notifications, and when I did the 'check all' the notification symbol was muted. I unmuted it, and got the 3 dots. Using Samsung messages.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
Members_Xy7gRrp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I don't see a notification button to press when I select all messages.

Across the top I have:

All / # selected / search icon

Across the bottom I have:

Delete all / More (three stacked dots)

My options from the 'More' menu are: Mark as Read, Block, Add to category.

The only option I see for notifications is on each individual message, to the right of the message under the time stamp.

I'm using Messages Version 15.1.10.14

Under Messages in settings, it is set to allow notifications.

0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

When I followed the instructions above, I had the Notification symbol at bottom left of screen. At bottom of mine Notifications - Delete - More. Using Samsung Messages same version as you.

Stupid question, but even though yours is set to Allow Notifications, do you have the Alerts set to Allow sound and vibration or Silent? And volume is turned up?

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
Members_Xy7gRrp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Yes, alerts and sound are on. I receive alerts/notifications fine for the text conversations I've individually unmuted.

Most users seem to have that notification icon on the bottom left. I don't know why it doesn't show for me, but odds are good that is somehow tied into the problem.

0 Likes
MountainMama777
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Having the same problem. Absolutely ridiculous. Have tried all settings and still would have to individually unmute each one. Never said it before but lately I'm Thinking about making the switch to Apple.
0 Likes