Original topic:

Android 14

(Topic created: 03-14-2024 03:16 PM)
aoresteen
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello I am new here.  I did NOT find a location to discuss Android 14 bugs.  Where should Android 14 issues be posted?

I also did not find my new phone listed either - it is a Samsung XCover6 Pro.

MODS: Please move this post to the proper location.  Thanks!

#############################

My issue is severe.  I was recently updated to Android 14 and lots of stuff was broken.  I fixed most of it right away but other issues took longer to solve.  This one is a deal breaker.

I can NOT transfer files from my XCover6 to Windows 10.  I have done all the basics: reboot (both the phone and Windows - multiple times), new USB cable, different USB port, different Windows 10 computer, set the USB port (it's in Developer settings)  etc.  I even tried a Windows XP computer.  Nothing.  With Android 13 I'd just plug into my Windows 13 computer and Explorer would show the XCover6 phone and let me move files back and forth.

Is anyone else having this issue? Which phones are impacted?

I did a support chat with Samsung and was told to go to the local IFixit location in my town. Not going to happen.

If this is not fixed I need to roll back to Android 13.  How is this done?

Here's a You Tube vid that the comments speak of this bug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap1jqAYZI_o

As of a month ago, there is a known bug "on some devices" and "they" are working on a fix.

Thanks!

If you connect the Android phone to a PC via USB, for example, it is initially in charging mode and you have to change the USB usage each time. To avoid this, you can set the default use of USB, as we show in this video. 0:00 Intro 0:05 Tap on Settings 0:15 Tap on System 0:25 Tap on Developer ...
0 Likes
8 Replies
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
Have you tried link to Windows? It's built into both windows and Android phones. When linked you can wirelessly transfer between your pc and phone and vice versa, no cable necessary.
0 Likes
aoresteen
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

No, as my main computer is a DESKTOP and does not have BlueTooth/WiFi.  I need a cable.

This is still a HUGE problem.

usergtXN1AlWmC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Windows Phone Link works but it limits file transfer size so I can't transfer video.

0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
Well they can always transfer the old fashioned way, plug in a usb flash drive, move the video to the drive and then either transfer from the drive to the computer or leave it on the flash drive. Still don't understand how they are upset at Samsung when they chose to close off their system.
0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Link to windows doe not require bluetooth. Just that both the phone and  computer be on the same wifi network and have link to windows turned on on both devices. I have a 10 year old computer running windows 10 and it woks fine for  me. My desktop has no Bluetooth or casting abilities. Look for the program in windows and in your device settings-should be a button for it on the quick panel. 

I just saw you said you had no wifi on your computer, if you have a free USB port, you can add a wifi adapter, unless your router doesn't support wi-fi.   If you do not have home internet and rely on your phone's mobile data for internet access and your computer has a wi-fi card built in, you can use your phone as a mobile hotspot.  As long as you put the computer on the hotspot, you will be able to use link to windows.

Also, it's not a bug that you have to go deep into the settings to set the default action for USB. Since the advent of Link to Windows, tethering by cable is not as commonly used, and the assumption is when you plug a USB cable into your phone, you want to charge it.  

0 Likes
aoresteen
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

As I stated, the desktop does not have WiFi.  Also My WiFi network is firewalled off from my LAN network and they do not speak to each other.   The WiFi is provided by AT&T and all my servers/desktops are protected from WiFi entry.

0 Likes
realaud
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

that may be so, but Samsung doesn't really care because 99.9% of users don't have that kind of configuration.  Protecting your computers from wifi entry shouldn't mean actions you initiate, just entry from outside your network.  

Incidentally, you cannot roll back to Android 13 unless you get an older device no longer eligible for updates.

0 Likes
usergtXN1AlWmC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

link to windows and phone link limit file transfer size, I need to get large videos off the phone, there doesn't seem to be a way to do that, no SD card, usb doesn't work and can't transfer through phone link.

0 Likes