Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 03-05-2024 07:28 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.šŸ˜ž
135 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
Yeah, my experience too! First symptom of poor gps is inability to lock onto Galileo satellites. Continuously restarting phone eventually works for me, but I have sometimes needed 4-6 restarts! There are two issues I observe; difficulty initializing gps chip and inability to remain locked. Power cycling eventually works for me in both cases but is incredibly frustrating, and shouldn't need to be done. Once my phone locks onto gps it remains working for the entire day, but then loses Galileo lock and becomes unstable. Give up at this point, and it appears not enough people are complaining for Samsung to invest the resources. Such a shame as most everything else is nice about the S24U.
DarkenMoon
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yep, it's a shame since this is the only real issue I am having with the phone. I have several videos that I need to upload showing screen recordings of GPSTest and GPS Status when it's working properly and improperly. I did get it fixing itself on a screen recording once, now I just have to find it.
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung got back to me about my bug report and said everything looked good to them. They obviously didn't get it. It was recommended I also upload a screen recorder video, but I've never done that before. I can actually cause this issue and correct it, almost on demand! For me, the issue occurs every morning, or after a long time following a restart, like end of day. I just need to keep restarting phone, an unknown number of times, until it starts working. I can tell almost instantly if the restart worked by observing if the Galileo satellites show up the instant GPSTest enumerated the satellites! Crazy, isn't it? After I restart my phone, in the morning, until the gps works, my gps is working and stable until about 8pm. Amazingly, this process reliably works, but it's just not acceptable, and has never done this on any of my phones in the past!
Options
Galaxy S24
As an alternative to rebooting, it may be worth cleaning memory under Device care to see if that gets GPS signal reception back on track.
Options
Galaxy S24
I'll give that a try! It's definitely an easier option than restarts. I also used the GPSTest app to clear the assist data and then inject new time and PSDS data. This made things worse and I may need to completely reset the phone to get back to my original gps state.
Options
Galaxy S24

I contemplated doing that and balked... still "recovering" from reset all settings.

DarkenMoon
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Finally uploaded one of the videos that I have of GPSTest and GPS Status. In this video, it works somewhat then starts to drift off before needing to toggle location. It fixes itself around 8:50. I would love to know what's going on there.

https://youtu.be/Xw1TaA8kyQE?si=ZX-BkTPI4xwoYcpH
Options
Galaxy S24
Nice screen recording! It looks like your driving in a vehicle at those speeds! Yeah, my satellites do the same thing as yours, and so does my accuracy, but my speed goes to 0 when it's working. I have already experienced three S24U phones that do this very same thing!! And as you say, it can work properly for hours once everything is operational. The problem is that mapping and geotagging look like they function, so, the average person won't notice or complain, even though the gps acts like it did in the very early days of gps devices. And, if it were SW fixable then it should have been in the first major update, maybe? Can you point Samsung to your recording, and would they even spend the time watching? I'm now thinking about going to the S23U, but wish I hadn't traded in my fully functional S22U.
0 Likes
DarkenMoon
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Ah yes, I should say that I was driving in this video, my bad that I didn't mention it! I know immediately when it's not working correctly if I don't see an E5a along with the E1 satellites, my speed is moving even when I am not, and the Russian satellites keep appearing and disappearing. I've reported the issue to Samsung multiple times, even with a link to another unlisted video (it has a few private details that I don't want, public), they have just told me that they have forwarded it to the development team.

I have several videos of driving and the location accuracy is going all over the place, along with speed not being consistent. I also have several videos of when it's working correctly, even if the Russian satellites aren't showing up reliability. I have to go through the videos to make sure there's no personal information that pops up that I don't mind is public. I also have video recordings from my S22 and S22+ where they don't exhibit this behavior. I'll upload all of these as soon as I get the chance to, and post the links here.

It's disheartening that Samsung hasn't acknowledged this at all. Heck, even writing this while sitting still in an open area my error is at 32.6ft. While not moving and sitting in my car. Screenshot_20240306_170355_Samsung Members_1000001525_1709773436.png
Options
Galaxy S24
No problem, it was just a surprise to see you moving at high speed given the issue causes speed errors. Haha. I don't believe Samsung is listening and it's a shame. You really can't do much more, and you did a great job! I'm just so hesitant about trading down to an S23U, but don't really want to keep the S24U. Today my gps worked all day, but I don't know if this is a one off? Yesterday, I used GPSTest to clear the assist data and then inject new time and PSDS date. Perhaps this made a difference? Risky but I was personally willing to take a risk, but don't recommend it as I don't want to possibly cause problems for other people.