Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 06:42 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.😞
135 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24

Today I had success. I changed one setting: under Location services I enabled Bluetooth scanning.

Screenshot_20240302_164213_Cyclemeter.jpg

Options
Galaxy S24
I'm glad you found a setting that works for you! Evidently, I have had that enabled and am not sure it's doing much for me? However, I also found an interesting fix that seems to work. If I restart my phone after it has these issues then the GPS behaves as expected. Sometimes it takes more than one restart but this has worked so far. My theory is that a restart initialized the gps and Snapdragon chip and puts it in a known working state. During the course of the day there seems to be fewer satellites until it finally can no longer get a solid fix. It never loses all the satellites and goes into a kind of approximate mode rather than staying in precise mode. Samsung got back to me about my error report and said everything looked good based on the log that was sent, and needed me to make a video, but there was no info on how to do this. It was obvious the person lacked technical experience based on the response and it'sbeing swepr under the rug. 😞
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Today's ride of 28 miles did not record accurately (my tracking recorded 22 miles with lines that did not follow trail/road contours where others had no issues ).

There is definitely going on with GPS signal on my 24+ (not sure if it is One Ui 6.1 specific as I had no such problems with s23+ running One UI 5.1 or 6.0). I'm sending another bug report.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry to hear this, and sounds like you do have something going on with your GPS. Doesn't hurt to submit a report, and they did get back to me. I would recommend being very detailed as they made it seem like I didn't provide enough info. Turns out I wake up every morning to bad GPS but a restart seems to clear it up for the day. I went I to settings and within Device Care I setup a device restart every morning, so we'll see if this consistently works?
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

I didn't pay ~$1k for a mobile phone that has to be rebooted daily (and never had any GPS signal issues with S23+ or other Android phones).

It is either software issue or something is not right with the hardware.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I hear you and agree! I like trying to solve problems and finding any solution. Samsung has to step up and do something, or game over! I have about three weeks to do another exchange and/or decide which phone to go with. Truthfully, I don't like any of the options but an S23U or Pixel 8 Pro are my main options?
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

Alright, I many have found one other solution to try:

Click on Apps and select the app you are using for GPS tracking.

From the App info menu, select Battery

The default was set to Optimized in my case, for Cyclemeter app.

I selected Unrestricted.

May not be able to test it for a few days...

Let me know if this app setting change resolves your issue!

Options
Galaxy S24
Great find and thanks for sharing! Mine was also set to Optimized for GPSTEST and Google Maps. I was in Restricted mode for GAIA mapping. My phone required quite a few restarts to get the gps to stay in a working mode this morning so I'll let you know if it ever stops working again! Thanks again and I hope your ride goes well!
Options
Galaxy S24
Nope, doesn't make a difference. It definitely sounded like a possibility but this is either a SW or HW bug. I think every S24 has this problem but users just don't notice. Please read my response to DarkenMoon below for my assessment. Restarts always work for me but I have had to do many for it to be jogged back into working. My wife's phone is the same as mine. Mind you, my phone is an exchange and has the same issue. I'm disgusted with this issue and don't expect a fix soon, if ever.
0 Likes
DarkenMoon
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Looks like I don't get to access the EU satellites tonight and get to deal with accuracy issues. Joy! Screenshot_20240304_200553_GPSTest_1000001358_1709611554.pngScreenshot_20240304_200550_GPSTest_1000001357_1709611550.png
0 Likes