Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 03-26-2024 05:34 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.šŸ˜ž
135 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry to hear about your GPS issues and welcome to the club. It's appreciated you letting us all know there could be a fix in an upcoming update! It sure appears to be an issue that could be fixed in software/firmware, based on my being able to get the gps to behave after some unknown number of restarts, but we'll see? Hopefully, the next update will be cause for celebration? If not for the gps issue, this phone is a nice upgrade from my S22U!
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I just installed Software Update 3 on my S24U! Initial power up shows gps much more stable with great accuracy and all expected satellites visible! Google Maps location is still seeing some minor drift but none of the random large movements! What's interesting is that the circle of uncertainty (error) on Google Maps is is cycling randomly between large and small circles but the location of the blue center point is fairly stable! For a first look this appears to be a substantial improvement. The jury is still out as I was able to get good results after power cycles. It would be nice to get feedback from the mapping apps people are using, and also to see if the gps behaves well every single day, and without restarts! Let us know what you experience?
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
NOPE, SOFTWARE UPDATE 3 PROVIDES NO GPS IMPROVEMENT!!! I just checked before going to bed and L5 band and Galileo satellites are mostly missing. Sad that Samsung sees no issue with this and customers are obviously unaware or don't care. I think I've completely lost hope for any improvement on this series of phone. šŸ˜ž
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

Just checked, no update yet on US Cellular network. Last update for me was 1 March

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I've got Verizon and they're pretty good at getting updates. I'm sure your carrier will make it available soon.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm going on 3+ weeks now with no major GPS drift on my S24+ when using the Cyclemeter app for tracking hikes and bicycle rides.

Other than applying One UI, Google Play Store and app updates as they became available, the other settings that I enabled:

Bluetooth scanning in Location services

Unrestricted battery usage in Settings -> Applications -> Cyclemeter -> Battery

Prior to adding the above, nearly every time, Cyclemeter tracking results were grossly inaccurate and this had never occurred with my S23+. I haven't noticed any issues with Google Maps with either S23+ or S24+.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Glad your GPS is working well for you and thanks for validating your configuration! I have same settings as you but the gps isn't behaving. Two restarts this morning put the gps back in working order. I really just want back my S22U that I traded in for this upgrade. Although this phone is otherwise nice, I'm unimpressed by the AI features and they're just a gimmick that aren't ready for prime time. I'm feeling mostly discouraged at this point, and like I've thrown away $1300.
0 Likes
user5wAfCPIUY9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have tried using Waze and Google maps and i cannot navigate in my car because it is all over the map sliding sometimes up to 20 miles away.  Also trying to check in for orders at food locations is impossible because it shows me 10 to 30 miles away from the location.  I am on Verizon I use android auto with my S24 Ultra.

Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry to hear about your GPS issues! I've personally given up on this product and don't plan on keeping it for more than a year. Looking back my S22U was a better fit for me given I use the gps often, but that's water under the bridge. I've already had 2 phones that exhibited the gps problems and Verizon sent me a replacement phone after Ireportrd the issue. The replacement phone had the same gps issues. At this point, sometimes the gps appears to work but most of the time my location is moving around even when the phone isn't moving. Samsung responded twice and gave me excuses why it was working properly, and pushed aside relevant info I described. I really don't think they want to acknowledge or fix the issues, and perhaps it isn't an easy solution? I think the only options are to get a replacement phone on warranty or get a different Samsung model or another manufacturers phone. I hope you can get your phone working and good luck!
Vhell83
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the same issue. Gone through 2 phones and done a full factory reset bringing everything and nothing over from the old device and my gps loses signal. Have tried out of the case but didn't change anything. It's gotten a bit better compared to the first device which spent most of its time out of signal 

0 Likes