Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 06:42 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.😞
135 Replies
Ryanf168
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm having the same issue with my s24 plus. I can't even use maps to navigate because it just freezes trying to aquire gps. I've never had issues like this with any previous phone

userbIsIq8gJWA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Having issues when I connect android auto the map gets stuck until I unlock the phone then navigation keeps up with the car moving but when phone is locked the navigation stops making you think you have not reached your exit in reality you're about to pass it
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I sure hope the release of this first update fixes the gps and mapping issues everyone is seeing! I keep purchasing newly released phones and am tired of waiting for fixes to major functionality issues. Seeing that phones aren't changing much, year to year, I'm likely just going to keep this phone for a long time before upgrading. Thankfully, seven years of updates sounds great right about now!
0 Likes
STiVs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Will it be fixed by an update or is it a HW problem and it is necessary to complain?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
That's a great point and I sure hope it's not HW. I'm still hopeful that it can be fixed in firmware. If not I've got a brick.
0 Likes
user7PNTssWEnS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I've also been having this same issue with my S24 Ultra -- it seems like it ignores the precise location setting -- when I remove that from the S23 Ultra I have, I see the same effects I see on the S24 Ultra -- jumping around in Google Maps even though the phone isn't moving. I've even rebooted the S24 Ultra under safe mode to eliminate some app interfering, but the issue persists.

Even though I don't trust Samsung support, one rep over seemed to admit hers also had location issues when I asked, but who knows. May go take a look at a few stores where they have demo units (T-mobile, verizon, etc) and see if this is also an issue on those.

0 Likes
STiVs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have 2 pcs S24 and 1 pc S24 ultra. Everyone has the same problem. 

0 Likes
user7PNTssWEnS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I looked on XDA, I didn't see any hits re: gps issues there. There is a reddit thread, but I can't find much else online with regards to this, seems to be limited or people haven't noticed. I certainly didn't notice until more than a week after having it, so it is subtle issue, but an important one.

Not sure if there's something in particular that triggers it. If there's a discussion forum where someone else mentions this other than the reddit thread please chime in 🙂

For reference, reddit thread (and I posted there as well as vaca_loca): https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS24Ultra/comments/1afy8qt/gps_issues/

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks for investigating! My vote is for people not noticing this issue. If you're zoomed out the gps instability is much less pronounced. I first observed the issue when I zoomed in for a street view of my home and it showed the neighbors lot. However, this issue could also cause real problems for routing directions and lane changes, along with tagged photos in the wrong locations. I saw this same exhibited problem on my S22U and it was fixed on the first major update, and assuming it's firmware fixable I have some hope. I've submitted two bug reports and they've both been acknowledged, for what that's worth. GpSTest app shows all L1/L5 satellites, now, and accuracy appears to be the same as my S22U but I still see poor location fix. We'll see if Samsung is listening and hope Verizon will send out update ASAP?
0 Likes
STiVs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I contacted Samsung again today. I was told: we don't know about the GPS problem 😞

0 Likes