Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 06:42 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.😞
135 Replies
STiVs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I hope it's not a HW problem. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm not even sure what to say at this point. Maybe I was given lip service when they said my bug reports were forwarded to the developers? Both mine and my wife's phone exhibit the same issue. When we're driving my phone indicates there is Low GPS accuracy, but this doesn't show up when not moving. I also notice that all the euro satellites are missing, as well as all L5 bands, while moving. This could account for low accuracy. If it really is a HW issue then ALL phones are basically bricks. We'll have to wait for the first firmware update to see the truth about what they know. Yet another lesson learned, and I'll NEVER purchase a new phone out of the gate, until I see what issues persist after several updates. I may even just move to the Google pixel as Samsung doesn't appear to have their act together, anymore. It's just pure frustration every time I purchase a new phone, and my S22U worked well but I wanted some of the improvements! Little did we know!
Draylo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I am having this problem too... gps is wonky and places me where I am clearly not... I'm really beginning to hate this phone and considering going back to my s22u that I haven't sent in yet. Not to mention the horrible vivid mode that nobody knows if that will be fixed. I so regret upgrading and all these shill reviewers never mention any of this 

0 Likes
STiVs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

And Samsung is still silent! Will it be fixed? When? Is it a HW bug? Nothing. No info... 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm with you completely and wish we never bought this phone. GPS is near the top of my list for mandatory features, and this is a big fail! We already sent our phones in for trade and are stuck with this brick. An update appears planned for 2/22 but I see no mention of a GPS fix. I don't believe anything most reviewers say, and they don't have the technical skill set to provide a comprehensive assessment of the features. And, there is no published GPS specifications that would hold Samsung accountable for parameters that would guarantee stable and repeatable GPS performance. The unfortunate outcome may be that Samsung thinks this is "good enough" if the level of complaints isn't sufficient? I have personally vowed to never purchase a newly released product before I have vetted the features important to me, and at least waited for a few firmware updates. You would think that with each new product cycle and generation of gps chips, it would be a no brainer to achieve excellent satellite acquisition?
0 Likes
mbaier
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Any fix for this yet. I'm going on a trip soon and need my gps to work
0 Likes
DarkenMoon
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Pretty strange, having this issue as well. I posted one one of the reddit threads. It's been going on for the past two days now, where as the past two days before that, it was working perfectly. I am leaning towards a software issue since there are periods of time where it works correctly.

Today, the E1 satellites weren't showing up along with GLONASS being flakey.

Here is a video showing the S24U jumping around while my other S22s are fine.

https://youtu.be/TXAPr587_AUScreenshot_20240218_154537_GPSTest_1000000603_1708299937.png
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I believe I'm seeing about the same thing. Accuracy appeared to be getting stable for a few days but now it's moving all around. I'm also missing a large number of satellites and especially the highly accurate L5 bands. Such a shame Samsung doesn't seem to get this right during any of the launches I can remember.
Options
Galaxy S24
Just got the first S24U update from Samsung and the GPS WASN'T fixed! My wife's S24U has the same issue. I assume most people are clueless and won't notice as long as mapping gets them where they're going, and therefore won't complain, and therefore Samsung will do nothing. I'm completely sorry I purchased this device and wish I could have my S22U back. The GPS has gotten much worse, with less satellites observed, and the location constantly moving around and unstable. The GPS seemed to get somewhat better after a week but now it's just horrible for geotagging and for mapping/hiking. The GPS on mine and my wife's phone are about as good as a smartphone from 10-15 years ago. I'll be contacting Verizon for a replacement or to move to an S23U. At this point, I'm going to be biased toward this being a HW issue since Samsung did NOTHING! What a shame as there are so many other improvements.