Original topic:

Issue: S24 Ultra suddenly not detectable via USB-C on any operating system (Ubuntu, macOS, Win)

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
Joel_Yancey
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

This is my fourth Samsung Galaxy device. I have never experienced an issue as confounding as this.

Specs:

• Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra, 512GB
  • Phone model: SM-S928U
  • Android version: 14

Notes/symptoms:

• By "suddenly" -> I mean suddenly. I have owned this phone for approximately 3 months. During that time, everything was working fine with USB-C data transfer to computer. Now it is not detectable.
  • By "not detectable" I mean it will not trigger any notification on either device (phone or computer), nor will it receive a charge
  • Device has no issue charging over USB-C when plugged into a wall outlet, however it will not charge over USB-C when connected to a computer.
  • Device is in pristine condition, was purchased new from T-Mobile, is not rooted, and has had no other issues.
  • It is NOT the cable. I have tried multiple high-end cables, including the one that it came with. As a former systems administrator, I am certain that it is not the cable.
  • It is not the computer. I have tried various operating/hardware systems: Ubuntu 24.04, macOS 14.4.1 and 12x, Win11. The OS I was previously in the habit of connecting this device to with USB-C is macOS.
  • The only odd thing I've done, is rather than using Android File Transfer, I had previously been using the OpenMTP application on macOS for file transfer between my MacBook Pro and S24 Ultra. This was working great for 3 months. I don't think this is related to the problem, but it ought to be noted.

Things I have tried:

• Rebooting, everything, a bunch
  • Connecting to various operating/hardware systems: Ubuntu 24.04, macOS 14.4.1 and 12x, Win11 (it's not the computer... it's the phone)
  • Connecting with different quality cables
  • Uninstalling recently installed apps, turning off Nova Launcher
  • Wiping cache partition
  • Reseting USB Port Settings, as described here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s22-series/usb-c-port-not-working/td-p/5546501
  • Tweaking every Android setting I can think of

Grievances:

• The lack of an SD card slot on the s24 Ultra is infuriating! It has magnified the impact of this issue 10-fold. I have no way to--locally--retrieve or backup nearly 500GB of data off of my device. What are my options? Attempt to Bluetooth 500GB of data? The lack of an SD card socket is inhumane.

I am now attempting to wirelessly send half-a-terabyte of phone data to the "cloud" as the kids call it lol! Expecting that to take some 24 hours. Then I will perform a factory reset since it's the only thing else I can think of to try. Please help. Please don't make me send my phone to fix this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

25 Replies
lippy_lip
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
My s24u was working perfectly using type-c to type-c charger and stopped working for God knows what reason after having the phone for almost 3 weeks
0 Likes
Joel_Yancey
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

0 Likes
Smiley Rav
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I also have this problem, I've found that the phone essentially "freezes" when I have a usb connected eg. Charging or android auto and the phone shows that it's still charging or the usb is connected after I have disconnected the phone.

The battery level percentage doesn't budge either, I have to restart the phone at least 2 times for it to sort itself out but it happens again not long after.

0 Likes
Joel_Yancey
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Dear All,

Two workarounds for file transfer confirmed by OP:

Workaround #1 (wired): Use a USB-C to USB-A cable as @TechToTravis suggested, rather than the modern USB-C to USB-C cable included with your device. Always use a high quality cable for data transfer.

Workaround #2 (wireless): My preferred methodā€”simple, fast, requires less accessories, and enables fine-grained file management. Prerequisites: This requires that phone and computer are connected to the same WiFi network. No hyperbole intended but learning this method may change your life. This is the wireless FTP method.

1. Ensure your phone and computer are both connected to the same WiFi network.

2. On your phone, install an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server application on your phone. Easiest: Install WiFi FTP Server from the Android Store (free)ā€”this will be the simplest to use (for advanced users, F-Droid FOSS Android repository has an application called primitive ftpd).

3. On your computer (Linux, macOS, or Windows) install FileZillaā€”a popular free and open-source FTP client: https://filezilla-project.org

4. On your phone, open your FTP application of-choice and start an FTP  session.

5. On your computer, open FileZilla. Enter the preset or user-set hostname (i.e. xxx.xxx.x.xxx), username, password, and port (i.e. 2221) associated with the FTP session on your phone.

6. Transfer files! You can now move files seamlessly/bidirectionally/rapidly between mobile phone and computer file systems.

^ First time you perform this it might take some tinkering, depending on your technical abilities, but the next time you will be up and running in 2 seconds. In no time the time saved not fighting with Android File Transfer or hunting for USB-cables will surpass initial tinkering time, leading to net lifetime saved.

0 Likes
userMpbY6AAqPi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I was using usb-c to usb-c wire (good quality) to transfer RAW files from my camera to my phone. Then one day it didnt work anymore. It just suddenly stopped one day. It'll say ("charging via usb connection") when i plug in my mass storage device. But regardless of what i do i cant transfer files and it keeps telling me the device has been disconnected even though its not.
Usb debugging/ON
Auto blocker/OFF
Anything else that has been suggested above/DONE.
yet still no fix.
0 Likes
Members_fV98bg0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I had the same issue until I used usb-c to usb-c on the computer. The usb to usb-c cable would only charge the phone. The  usb-c to usb-c allowed me to do file transfers

0 Likes