Original topic:

Issue with the front camera while on a phone call.

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
PEANUT581
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Help! This happens on all my Samsung phones. 
I have the S24 ultra and when I am on a phone call using either the speaker or to my ear the screen flashes on and off then it goes completely dark.
If I don't touch the screen for a minute I then have to unlock my phone.

I have tried camera cutout but no luck and keep on while viewing doesn't work either. 

I also keep my phone in black mode.

I am looking for the answer for keeping my screen awake the whole time I am on a call. 

I am either not enabling or disabling some setting and this is driving me crazy and with all the settings, features, etc it's getting harder to find the answer.
8 Replies
terminator9
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
try these .. and hopefully it will resolve it 1713655076801.jpg1713655076828.jpg
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24

That won't work for the phone issue, as that's a whole different set of programming/mechanics.  The phone screen is set specifically to time out after a short period.  Maybe some time in the future (like Android 22 or something).

PEANUT581
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Thank you for trying but no luck. Screen still flashes and when I put my finger on the cutout the flashing stops. I think it's the proximity sensor and their is no solution to disable it.
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24

You can't. It's set to time out quickly on purpose and is not subject to your screen timeout settings.  It's a vestige from the old analog phones and the proximity sensors to prevent your cheek from pressing numbers on the dial pad.  It also chews battery, and there is no need for the screen to be on during a call unless you need to use the dialer for something.  There are a couple of workarounds you can try:

1) keep tapping the phone screen to keep the screen awake

2) turn on biometrics and use your fingerprint to unlock, and set "fingerprint always on". You won't see it when the screen goes dark, but you know where it is, and you can press that location and no password is necessary.

3) set an unlock routine (warning this will only work for incoming calls-there is no option for outgoing calls) If {during call} then {unlock with biometrics}

4) go to the lock screen settings and choose an extend unlock method, such as "on body detection" or "trusted devices". Trusted devices will keep your phone unlocked when connected by BT to a device (your car, your smart watch, your ear buds/headset). I created a routine to remain unlocked when connected to certain trusted wi-fi networks, but that won't work if you don't know where you'll be when you get or make a call. I have a Galaxy watch, so I have it set to remain unlocked when connected to it, since it's always connected.

I agree, it would make more sense to let people choose whether or not the screen turns off during calls, but right now that is not an option, so any of the work arounds might help you.  Since your main complaint seems to be the password entry (a pita, I know), I would suggest some combination of biometrics and extend unlock.

oh, and you can also just surf the web while talking and that will minimize the phone screen and keep the screen on.

0 Likes
PEANUT581
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Thank you. Surfing the web is a good workaround. I noticed that when I am on a call and I put my finger on the cutout, the flashing stops. I use my keyboard a lot while on a call with companies and chat services. I always thought it was the proximity sensor. I like my screen on so I can quickly use my keyboard and watching the time of the call. Sometimes calls drop and I am still talking. So why does everyone say that the cutout is the camera?
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
The cutout is the camera. It has no bearing on keeping the screen on during a phone call the way it does while viewing the screen. I don't understand the technology behind it, but I do know it's seperate and distinct from "keep screen on while viewing".

Best I can figure is that the camera cutout is the proximity sensor. And absent your face being up against the camera I think it's programmed to go dark when the phone is in use as if someone's ear was pressed to the phone. As I said it seems to be a throwback to the days when she touching the screen or the phone pad would set off a chain of events.
0 Likes
PEANUT581
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
OK and thanks for clarifying.
0 Likes
lostone123
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung always look fish eye lens. They don't correct distortion