Original topic:

RCS disappeared from my Google messages

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
kck18
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the S24 ultra on Verizon, and I use the Google messages app, solely. For months I had RCS messaging with a few different people that worked flawlessly and was great. then someone else i know got RCS on their iPhone last week and it was working between the two of us. Then suddenly the last 3 days, my phone now states that my device is not eligible for RCS???? 

This makes 0 sense. My app is updated, same with my software for the phone. I understand there are some specifics with user to user. But what's bothering me is that I did have it and it worked but now it's gone? 

63 Replies
kck18
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hmm, I'm on 6.1 and that was last updated on sept 6th. and no available update for me. But the RCS was working for a while after that update, so not sure. 

0 Likes
user5XsUPRRsqw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree the .messages app is being over run withe Google, I get more and more disappointed with samsung devices, creat an app just to end the app not realizing we purchase the devices because of what they offer. Might have to change to Apple device
0 Likes
hellequinharley
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I've been trying to troubleshoot mine all morning. It was working fine and then now it's saying I do not have RCS chats. I did notice in Advanced Settings there's an option for phone number, I keep putting my number in there but once I click out of the menu it erases it. I'm trying to realize what else is different. I tried swapping the default messaging app to see if I could see up RCS chats again but that hasn't seemed to work. I just updated my phone again, after this problem occurred this morning, and still no luck. Were you able to find a solution?
0 Likes
kck18
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Nope! I did all of that too.

Then randomly this afternoon it just started working again and I got the popup about RCS being available (again) despite no updates or changes to my phone or the app. šŸ™ƒ Literally makes no sense. At this point I'm not even trusting it will remain "fixed" since there's no understanding in why it stopped or why it started working again. 

hellequinharley
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I also did notice if I switch my default messages app and then go back to Google messages and not switch that back to default, I can actually go into the RCS settings now. Everything is grayed out still but I can at least see the menu. So I have no clue what's going on with this.
0 Likes
hellequinharley
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Update, for me anyways, un-installed Google Messages and reinstalled it and it seems to be working fine now. I went into the Play Store, hit Uninstall and then it un-installed but then it switched to Update or Open for the options on the app. So I updated it and then I opened it and it works fine.
GSG5545
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This worked for me

0 Likes
Smd2024
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Does Uninstalling Google messages erase your texts? My phone isn't backing up anything.

0 Likes
hellequinharley
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I did not for me but you can use a 3rd party app to back up your texts.
0 Likes
pirlnstyle
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

If you have your messages backed up through google, it won't.

0 Likes