Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-28-2024 08:00 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,244 Replies
rider4life
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung, why did ya'll take away the Alaways On Display customization? I can't add my own picture, can't change colors, can't even turn up the brightness of the Always On Display on the S24 Ultra. I can get over the fact that ya'll made the display colors less vivid, but I don't know if I can get over the Always On Display thing. 

One of the biggest reasons why I've chosen Samsung phones over iPhone is because of the ability to be able to customize Samsung phones pretty much anyway you want to. 

I'm a little disappointed in this phone. I haven't even gotten to the AI stuff yet; I'm not sure I even want to keep this phone because that Always On Display thing is really bothering me. I mean, come on Samsung. Why did ya'll do this and when are ya'll changing it back?

I'm holding on to my S22 Ultra for a few days. I gotta think about this.

Peri21
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
you can do that with Clockface from Goodlock. its an alternative way until they fix it. only the brightness i didnt find a way so far...
Tsuku
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
There's no way to add our own pictures through Goodlock
0 Likes
Peri21
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
you can with this app from good lock. after you make your own you go to the edit lock screen and you select it there.1706500786883.jpg
0 Likes
joeldf
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Not with One UI 6.1, none of the Goodlock settings stick. At least not on my S24+.
0 Likes
Peri21
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
on my s24 ultra clockface from goodlock. you make your own clockface and after you can add it on your lock screen so its adding also as AOD.
0 Likes
Harpbri
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
There is already talk of them fixing the color issues in an update. Basically the vivid button does nothing and the phone is stuck in natural. One of the downsides of pre ordering a phone is stuff like this. As for the AOD I'm not having any issues but I only used the minimalist one since the beginning so I don't miss the picture option. Hopefully it will get added in an update too. I'm also holding on to my s22 ultra for a few more days too just because.
Rachit
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't see Clock style option in Always On Display. I had that in my previous phones, including S22. I am used to setting dual clock on Always On Display. Why is it missing?
andrelesouza
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
The whole AOD settings have changed with the new One UI 6.1... šŸ˜ž
0 Likes
Rachit
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Dang! I thought new versions comes with more and better features and not remove them šŸ¤¦ā€:male_sign:
0 Likes