Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-29-2024 06:48 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
SamTheMan44
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yup same here at least if a lot of people are having this issue then it probably is just a software bug hopefully they'll fix it soon
0 Likes
userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
yea please report the bug in members app if you haven't yet to make samsung aware, hoping they fix this with a patch
userghTBkyXiXC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I just got the S24+, replacing a 21+.

The colors on the S24+ are definately less vibrant side by side with the exact icon layout on the 21+.

I did notice on the 24+, when I switch from Vivid to Natural (in settings/display) and back there is no change on the picture of the Pinwheel.  On the 21+ there is a significant difference in the picture when Vivid/Natural switching.

When I put the 21+ in Natural it looks very similar to the 24+ colors.

So perhaps it has something to do with this Vivid/Natural setting in the 24 series?

0 Likes
Edus71
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Wrong. 

0 Likes
Nes418
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Seems to be software. It wont change anything on my s24+. I looked at my s21+ and i turned off vivid mode and it looks the same as the 24 so it for sure isnt working
0 Likes
Diamondscar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Agreed, colors are too muted
makipsee
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

just got my phone in today, upgrading from the s22 to the s24 and just like everyone is saying... the vivid mode doesnt do much of anything, colors look dull. Having the AOD and lock screen clocks the same is SUPER annoying... my AOD clock is stuck with adaptive brightness which is also annoying... the AOD notification icons are ALL the same color as the clock.. you can make the clock bigger on the AOD/lock screen but the battery percentage on the AOD is super tiny.... so far thats all i have...

PJ55555
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

S24 plus arrived today, display is dim and dull very obvious side by side with my base s23.  I have to believe this is a software bug the display is so bad it can't be intentional.  This issue is all over reddit, myself and many others will be returning the phone if there isn't a fix before the return policy is over.

BeemerFishing
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I will be returning mine too. Also, the Quad resolution is slightly bigger than what's on my S22 Ultra, but I'm seeing picture and video height being slightly shorter. Another bummer is the default video player is gone, even Smart Switch didn't restore it. I know it's discontinued but it still works on my S22 Ultra with the One UI 6.0.

0 Likes
Ones_N_Zeros
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Can anyone confirm that photos in the gallery and YouTube do look vivid while everything else looks washed out? I've seen multiple posts of people looking or editing images in their gallery or viewing videos in YouTube that are bright and vivid only to go back to the home screen and have everything washed out. If the screen does displays pictures properly and vivid in the gallery and YouTube than a hardware problem is 100% ruled out. A hardware problem would mean the display couldn't ever represent the vivid sharp colors.