Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-30-2024 05:54 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,236 Replies
ProfessorXavier
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Have you tried both steps? I'm only proposing what I've done on my OWN phone and I'VE SEEN the coloring IMPROVE.
ProfessorXavier
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm not saying Samsung can't release a patch to change the color rendering, what I am saying is that, FOR NOW, these are steps people can try.
0 Likes
othersteve
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Just wanted to chime in and say I completely agree with this post. The last couple of months have frankly really shaken my trust in Samsung as a company more generally, without getting into specifics. This latest debacle will see my return of the S24U I ordered (and received) without ever having opened it to start with.

Quit rushing your products. This is a failed release and it's an absolute embarrassment. It doesn't take long for a brand to be tarnished when this is how their priorities look. And it gives me no pleasure to say this, as someone who has been buying Samsung everything since their very first competitor to the iPhone was released.
userOjrZ2WyLxp
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Beyond dissappointed with my new galaxy s24 plus  vivid mode does not look good  i compared along side s23 plus  i switched both phones to natural mode no issues they both look the same to me  but when switched to vivid adjusting to warm the s24 plus colors are not good    Home Screen vivid mode  widgets colors on  s24 plus look dull washed out they look like my moms cheap f8 samsung  this should not be terrible   I can not hear we are aiming for a more natutal look  then what is the pupose of vivid mode that saturates colors   i will be returning phone if samsung does not fix vivid they know what samsung owners are talking about   highly disapppinted terrible vivid downgrade

0 Likes
Focr06
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Amen. So, they decided to rush this product release, just so that they can have an unfinished product out?! What a way to lose credibility, someone gotta take responsibility for this.
userRgMsH3IWcg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm very disappointed on how dull/washed out the colors are on the s24 ultra. This needs to be addressed and corrected.
userZoeU5n6UQm
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here
RBSLC
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Agreed. Had the same experience with the screen on my new S24 Ultra. The screen is so dull and muted. Next to my S21 Ultra and my iPhone 15 Plus, the S24 Ultra screen colors look terrible. There's almost no difference between vivid and natural setting on the screen brightness. And the advanced settings where you can adjust the red, blue, and green tones makes absolutely no difference. So disappointing. I was so excited to get this new phone, but with the screen like this, I would rather continue using my S21 Ultra. I hate when companies take something great and make it worse on a new version. I buy Samsungs for the OLED display, but this S24 Ultra screen looks terrible, like a 10 year old LCD screen. I hope they can fix it with software updates, otherwise I'm returning this phone.
PecanTan1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I Love my s21 Ultra overall also.
user9Nqp4GscSi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I also upgraded from my S21 Ultra. Now I'm second guessing my decision. The colors are dull af on this S24 Ultra