Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
_London_GingerNinja
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Same here. I was so happy to get my phone early but now so disappointed with the screen vs my S21 Ultra. The colours on the same photos look miles apart. Will be returning phone if no updates pushed out.

userc42fI5Ikdg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

My S24 ultra is the same.  But, pull up a 4K HDR video on YouTube and, make sure of that in the advanced settings. I put my s23 ultra and 24 ultra side by side and watched many such videos. 24 ultra has a much better saturation, brightness, and contrast. The screen is amazing and  seeing the potential with my own eyes, I will wait for the fix. QUICKLY PLEASE SAMSUNG!!!!!

LauraRG
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Have you looked to see if any of the adaptive settings are on. Those change the colors and brightness based on the room your in, etc
JDMaestas
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Yea
0 Likes
LauraRG
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Also, the eye comfort shield will affect the colors also
0 Likes
RBSLC
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, I've gone through all the different screen brightness adaptive settings, from the eye shield, vivid versus natural, advanced settings, none of them make much of an impact on the actual vivid color of the screen. I've compared those same settings on my s21 Ultra next to the S24 Ultra, and the changes those screen settings have on the s21 Ultra are significant, whereas for the S24 Ultra they make very little to no difference.
userSp81vPhD8a
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Same. Very disappointed
S24washedout
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
My s23 ultra has more vibrant colors and brighter screen. I'm kinda disappointed since this is supposed to have higher nits.
frannreyes1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm so disappointed can't believe samsung made us believe this was the best phone out there .I contacted them and they said it's a factory mess up and they will replace the phone but I have to pay more and will get it till Feb 21 that's terrible service .
t5jabroni
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
So they are saying it's a hardware issues vs an issue that can be fixed with a firmware update? If that's the case I'm sending mine back and just going to keep my s23 plus