Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-08-2024 09:41 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,230 Replies
Joe25
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

All, 

Please don't repost the nonsense with this vividness upgrade. Samsung would have announced that officially already if true. And if not they are just as bad in communication as they did with the new display look. 

Give up in believing and take the current facts. No update announced. 

Just send it back and don't do a compromise for that lot of money. Mine is back at Samsung... Now waiting for my money. 

Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Wrong. 

Joe25
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

And btw... The S23 Ultra display brightness ist even higher than the S24 Ultra at highest level (turned off extra brightness) for HDR content. 

Options
Galaxy S24

How you know the display options are non-functional or cut out (speaking from my S24+) is that you can't get the display to change in a perceptible manner by changing the white balance or cool/warm options under Vivid mode. If there is a change, it is so subtle that any of the in-between adjustment levels are truly worthless and not functioning. This is what would make me lean toward thinking it is a software/color profile problem (which could of course be addressed by an update). Being how things are right now, the options under Vivid mode are not functioning to any significant degree and that is a fact. Working a lot with displays and Photoshop etc, the fact you can't substantially change the way the display presents is just mind-boggling and really something you'd expect from a $150 phone. When I needed a cheap phone and got a sub-$200 phone from Motorola, the display colors looked like this S24 and I thought, "wow, I guess I'm stuck with Samsung forever." Well, that seems to no longer be the case. The screen is crisp when using full resolution, and it is pretty responsive and all. But just looking at the icons on the home screen and its wallpapers is really kind of abysmal. How can they mess this up so badly? My old S6 has better colors than this. So does my old S5 tablet.

bondo008
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Android authority, Tom's guide, tech radar and a bunch of other people are saying that a vivid slider option is coming in a update. 1 notch is like the s23 ultra and 2 notches is like the s21 ultras vibrant display. Hopefully this is true and would be really nice if samsung could verify this! This would make everyone happy especially those of us that want are displays to stand out more than the rest again. People that like the natural look can leave it on default. More options the better! Everyone wins!
aiween1
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Yeah they are all going by ice universe's tweet about it

ItsLtDan
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes hopefully it's true and an update is coming 1707461543286_1707461543278_0.jpg
userU4moLSXqTw
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I certainly hope that's true. I don't think my vivid is working at all. Here are screenshots of vivid and natural. No difference. 1707486070123.jpg1707486070153.jpg
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Screenshots of this will never show any difference.  It is the display showing the images that show this.  For a side-by-side example you would need to photograph it with a different device.

userU4moLSXqTw
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I hear what you're saying, but these screenshots are very representative of what I see, which is no color difference at all.