Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-13-2024 12:16 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,240 Replies
userAsNMpEhLlk
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
This is a short explanation of why the S24 Ultra screen colours can appear washed out compared to other phones like the S21 or Flip 5
djjaeger82
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Finally the real answer with some actual science.   Wrong/extra sub pixels are being lit up when they should not be.  This should be addressable easily with a firmware fix.  Amazing Samsung thought it was a good idea to launch the phone this way tho.  How stupid! 

0 Likes
mrk33
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm thinking that Samsung **bleep** up with this display, but they can't really admit that, can they.  No, they have the PR people say, "we meant the screen to be more natural, that was our design all along". Then they can fix their problem  (which really isn't a problem šŸ˜)  with an update. They can then say, this is for our customers who like a more vivid display. That way they're hoping to try to avoid an expensive class action suit.

0 Likes
Stefan0784
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Cheers all. I know it's off-topic.. but can you guys/girls help me out with a like on the picture from the link bellow? Takes just a few seconds. Really appreciate it, thanks! 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/fotografia-iernii/cel-mai-frumos-anotimp/cns-p/9206970

0 Likes
userIGxbmZVa70
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I just got my S24 yesterday. Needless to say that I am very displeased with the display. It's dull and very unpleasant. I am considering returning the phone and getting another brand. I've been with Samsung for 15 years but this is a deal breaker for me. 

Please advise when the fix will be available. 

SuperDuperSamShine
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung please make an official statement about a possible timeline for the update to fix Vivid mode on the dull washed out screens on the S24 series. You know our return period for returning the S24 is coming up and you know it. Many of us are hanging on to our S23 series and older phones. 

Why are you not making an official statement? We have to rely on IceUniverse for updates? That's ridiculous. Give us some type of update.

We just want Vivid mode back and it would be nice to show your supporters and loyal customers who spend $1400 some type of attention. We should not have to rely on leaks and rumors.

Release some type of statement on the washed our dull screen! 
Kyle0505
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree with you.
SuperDuperSamShine
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung is ridiculous. Apple :red_apple: would never do something like this and let leakers speak on behalf of them.
Gnocchi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This update misery is not longer acceptable.

rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Also about when RAW image support will be fixed.