Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-23-2024 10:00 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! 🙂

3,230 Replies
userFERRN4WF6x
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I remember when the older models had the led notification light. I loved those because I knew exactly when I had an alert. Then they brought out the AOD and that made up for when they removed the led light. I also enjoy the coloured notification on the AOD, but I noticed they removed those too on the newer models/software.
neilth
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24
You may be interested in the app aodNotify, available at the Play Store. It can bring back the old notification LED functionality. I've used it on my last several Samsung phones. It works quite well.
DeWellcool
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I am having issues with my s24 ultra always on display. I can not see options to change AOD clock styles and color. It is not showing up. Why?
userz0Ktvo6L7w
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Totally agree.  I can't read the aod quick notes I made.  What's the issue Samsung?

Options
Galaxy S24
I don't have an S24 phone myself, but I have seen several other posts mentioning this.

According to this article, AOD brightness for S24 phones has been merged with the main screen brightness control. The author of the article said they were able to see results by turning on Auto-adaptive brightness.

https://samlover.com/2024/01/29/galaxy-s24-misses-manual-aod-brightness-control/

The article also says that custom clocks on the Lock screen and AOD have been merged. Changing one now also changes the other. I don't like this as I prefer having the ability to choose a different design for each. I have seen other posts claiming that Good Lock can fix this. (I mention this because I've seen several posts by people upset that they can't figure out how to change their AOD clock now.)
TheMrBerryhill
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I have my display brightness up to max, adaptive brightness is off, and as soon as the lights are off in my bedroom the AOD dims so low you cannot see it. 

0 Likes
Davecon11
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

long press on lock screen, then click on the clock. many options will show up to choose from....

David Conger
0 Likes
Davecon11
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

but it is correct that the lock screen clock and the AOD clock are the same. Can not set one that is different from the other

David Conger
0 Likes
rider4life
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Come on Samsung! What about a brightness slider for the Always On Display? You all could have thrown that in with this Feb. update. At least the brightness slider since you all took away our ability to add wallpaper and themes right to the Always On Display instead of having to go through the Lock Screen and Good Lock. *Sigh* 🤬
MRREEsE
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
You all have to bring back out native AOD(ALWAYS IN DISPLAY) customization. I don't know who idea it was to be limited to apples implementation. This is samsung, a galaxy device. I have had almost all of them. We have options over here. I love the new device but lets please get gif and small image support back on our AOD. THERE'S NO REASON TO BE MISSING THINGS. I don't want to have to search or mod something like that