Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,233 Replies
MRREEsE
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
You all have to bring back out native AOD(ALWAYS IN DISPLAY) customization. I don't know who idea it was to be limited to apples implementation. This is samsung, a galaxy device. I have had almost all of them. We have options over here. I love the new device but lets please get gif and small image support back on our AOD. THERE'S NO REASON TO BE MISSING THINGS. I don't want to have to search or mod something like that
ppetkow900
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Why you delete AGAIN the threat about the grainy display??? Samsung - you must be proud how you treat your customers!!! WE SHOULD PUNISH YOU and never again buy Samsung products!!!!!!!!!!

D4ngrs
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm with Samsung since the Galxy S Plus. And I'm more than disappointed that they yet again delete / merge an issue into a fully unrelated thread.

Baz Ä°stasyonu
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the grainy defects on my s24 ultra 1 tb model as well

0 Likes
YgorCortes
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Why does Samsung keep merging the grainy display threads to this completely unrelated one?

0 Likes
ficocgsx
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and have to say, there is no grainy issue.

Regarding the color profile it is really washed out, colors are not the same comparing to S22U or S10 etc, hope to see that update soon, they promised a Feb. Update, the month is almost over.

Aeroseb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Which date and product place ?

Assassin91
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Samsung keeps deleting these threads instead of addressing the issue. 

Funny enough, one plus just admitted their memory issues on op12r and offered full refund.  

On other hand, Sasmung isn't even ready to do the bare minimum by acknowledging the issue and are instead trying to bury the issue by deleting the threads.

Being a brand that they are they should be offering a fix asap.

Learn something from One Plus, Samsung.

humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Keep submitting individual error reports and message the CEO's office since Samsung has been quiet and keeps removing / merging grainy display threads under washed out colors topic. Those are two UNRELATED things. Link is here for CEO's form
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/email-the-ceo/
Davecon11
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

well I just got my s24 ultra update from Samsung and it looks so much better I have the vivid option set for the middle button.. everything looks great now... However they did not add the brightness slider back to the always-on display for some reason... They really need to do that, hopefully next update... 

David Conger