Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 04-03-2024 11:17 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,233 Replies
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
It's working for me did you by any chance not tap save after setting AOD unfortunately I can't get a screenshot of AOD I'm going to take a picture with my kids tablets when I get home
0 Likes
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
I think I figure out what happened. It seems to be a bug that I already have notifications, the color will not change to what I set.

I need to clear all notification so that the color of notification icons on AOD will be what I set in LockStar.
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
Here AOD Notifications are green20240403_151955_1000001834_1712172163.jpg
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
AOD 1712168225668.jpg1712168225669.jpg1712168225671.jpg1712168225675.jpg
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
The first screenshot epitomizes exactly the point I'm trying to make. It looks like it works, it shows you the right colors (individual icon colors) ONLY IN THE AOD SETTINGS SCREEN. If you actually get notifications, the AOD notification icons are all white. Setting custom colors works, but you have to set ALL the icons to a single color, which is counterproductive.

This is not how it was done on One UI 5.1 or any earlier Samsung AOD. The notification icons on the AOD, when set to Auto color, are supposed to inherit colors of their respective icons. Again, see screenshot I posted in the OP. That's how it's supposed to look.
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
Lock Screen 1712168246050.jpg1712168246058.jpg
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
You could try clear your notification and wait for the new one. Then you should be able to see the color icons on AOD when there is new notification.
0 Likes
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Just tried it and verified it doesn't work. I set the AOD notification icons to Auto, cleared all notifications. I just got a text and an email, and both icons are white. They should be magenta and blue, respectively.
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
If the Auto means the color like this screenshot, then yeah it still doesn't work1712174690455.jpg
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Exactly. It doesn't work. If my email icon is blue, it's supposed to be blue on the AOD. If my Messages icon is magenta, it's supposed to be magenta on the AOD. It's not: everything is still white currently with the latest Lockstar and AOD.