Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,234 Replies
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung erased my previous LONG post detailing how the S24 Ultra AOD is still missing features, so I'm reposting it. 

1. Please give us back the ability for the notification icons to be colored and sized. They are white, smashed together, and not useful. For an example of a proper lockscreen, see the AOD on One UI 5.1.

2. Please give us the ability to change the brightness of the AOD on the S24.

3. Please do not erase this post unnecessarily. I'm providing constructive criticsm after spending $1500 on this new phone, my voice deserves to be heard.

Thanks.
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
They are here are the links to the APK's you need

AOD https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/always-on-display/always-on-display-8-7-99-...

Post on X via Tarun Vats that has the link to LockStar his post says not for S24 Series but it does work just doesn't have Brightness Adjuster
https://twitter.com/tarunvats33/status/1775059228262297815?s=19
Options
Galaxy S24
Before I proceed, I need to update AOD and then download the APK from Tatun's link to restore AOD. BTW, Tatun's link has two files. Could you tell me which one I should use?
0 Likes
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
The one on the left is the APK for the AOD and the one on the Right is the APK for LockStar but you need to hurry the links expire in 3 hours and APKMirror doesn't have the LockStar version you have to have
0 Likes
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yep, just posted this on another thread. Those are the two versions I have already installed on my S24 Ultra. Still can't change the notification icons, and cannot change brightness for the AOD.
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
You need to customize notification icons in LockStar (not in Settings).1712161576330.jpg
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, I (and everyone else) tried that. Bottom line is that it doesn't work. It works ONLY ON THAT AOD SCREEN, but doesn't actually do anything. Setting it to Auto still leaves the icons totally white and smashed together.
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
Yeah you're right. The color of notification icons on AOD isn't changing.

So I don't think this works on S24 series as it stated on the Galaxy Store page.1712163579436.jpg
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
This is why you need to download and install the APK's I posted above I have S24 Ultra the only thing I don't have is Brightness Adjuster
0 Likes
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
I set red color for notification icons for both lockscreen and AOD in LockStar, but the icons are red only on lockscreen and not AOD. I also have S24 Ultra.

Edit: I also installed the latest versions of both apps1712169284317.jpg1712169284333.jpg
0 Likes