Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-24-2024 03:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

JUMP TO SOLUTION
3,236 Replies
ItsLtDan
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
No I don't know why it keeps doing it. It seems like it's bugged. Needs a software update ASAP
0 Likes
RiskyAngel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

If this display issue is that serious and noticeable, then why big YouTubers like MrWhoseTheBoss and Marques Brownlee didn't address this in the first place? They all reviewed the display like it was the best. 

usereAAwesDrfk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Mrwhosetheboss actually mentioned the muted blacks as greyish and alluded to it being "intentional" and he likes it. In one of his videos a couple days ago, which makes me wonder if it reallyally is supposed to be that way... Now deciding whether toding to keep it or not is the question
0 Likes
RiskyAngel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Plus, I never tried returning the phone I bought before. Can someone tell me how people would usually return their phone and get a refund? This display thingy looks like a serious issue and I pre ordered the device without noticing it. 

0 Likes
ItsLtDan
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
U have 14 days to return the phone. So whenever u received it, 14 days from that date.
0 Likes
Focr06
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
It sounds like they can't fix it.. And now they are saying this. Which goes back to the problem being the antiglare coating. Which is why there is very little difference between natural and vivid. I see a very slight difference, so minor that is almost non existent. This is a problem because evry time I take a Pic or video, it looks better on my S23U than it does on my s24U, specially colors. Only way that I can tell that is actually a better picture, is when I transfer it to my S23U.. What's the point!
ItsLtDan
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
It's not the anti relfelctive because s24 and s24+ users reported the same problem. Dull hazy screens
K4ZT13L
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Someone notice how grainy is the screen on grey colors. The screen on my S23 Ultra looks better also the iPhone 14 Pro max. Now i see it when i pull the notification bar down is noticeable too on the keyboard on dark mode
userNbhjAyCMga
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes I have my A52 series galaxy have a better vibrant and sharp colors then my 24
Nemoh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here. It honestly saddens me. I hope this is on the software side and can be fixed. My hopes are up.