Original topic:

S24 Ultra Camera Quality Feedback

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 07:08 PM)
efrain192
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
As many of us are experiencing these camera issues where the post processing ruins images taken by making them grainy or too saturated. I found temporarily that using the camera in safe mode and airplane mode gave me way better results when using the camera . Hopefully they fix this soon

UPDATE
Turns out my camera issue is a hardware issue. I spoke to representative and there are no updates coming for the camera, only for the screen issues. I will return mine an get a new device. Seems I got a early model that was part of a bad batch. 

Update: got my replacement device today NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. now this is what the s24 ultra is supposed to be. WOW I can't believe the difference. The screen for sure is way brighter and more colorful and the camera is amazing and no issues with post processing ruining images. If anything it just makes them way better. I can't believe what a difference there is between the devices 
529 Replies
PeterTheKorean
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
oh yeap. ive already gave up on regular mode as ai auto editing requires so much more data, but pro mode is what im taliing about whre it should save photos as RAW file without editing
0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

I get a slight increase in brightness, maybe that's just the switch from the preview jpg to the actual dng. The embedded preview is darker, same thing happens in Lightroom, first shows the darker preview, then after decoding the slightly brighter raw data.

What I find more concerning is that the dng seems to have worse highlight recovery than the accompanying jpg. I also can't see any potential in recovering shadows. This used to be better on older phones.

rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Btw. third party apps like MotionCam can get DNG where you can actually recover highlights and shadows, currently impossible with ProMode.

UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
The displayed file is not a true RAW file, but rather an 8-bit JPEG embedded within the RAW file for visual purposes.

The issue with RAW files in Pro Mode is distinct. In Pro Mode, we now receive demosaiced Linear RAW files that discard certain data prior to file compression.

Linear RAW files are incompatible with the newly introduced Lightroom Denoise AI algorithm.

This decision, made by Samsung in Q1 2023, affected all S20 series phones, resulting in a downgrade to this inferior algorithm. Prior to this, my S22U was capable of producing pure, uncompressed RAW files.

My older S10 5G still retains this capability as it did not receive the aforementioned update.
Adams ibrahim
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

It can be stated clearly that the current S24 Ultra camera faces a significant issue in color reproduction. The S24 Ultra fails to display the natural colors of captured images, and I am dissatisfied with this ongoing problem. Complaints about the poor quality of the camera and video have persisted for years, with users expressing frustration over the lack of natural color representation. Despite claims that adjustments can be made in the camera settings, I have attempted this without observing any noticeable difference. My suggestion is for the phone to capture natural photos initially, allowing users to edit them as desired, rather than automatically applying edits immediately after the shot.

userCE5SuAu6c0
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I am extremely disappointed with the s24 ultra camera. Photos come out bland and grainy without any detail. The default 12 mp is complete **bleep** and even when I switch to 200mp it doesn't get much better or defined. Coming from an S21 Ultra, I expected leaps and bounds better. It's not. Some things are worse, and they took away some features. Phones and cameras are supposed to get better.
Mohican69
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I signed up to trade in my ZFold 5 for this S24 Ultra and I have to admit I'm not impressed with it. So this morning I took both out on my deck and set both cameras to the 50 megapixel setting and all other settings on default. Now supposedly this S24 Ultra is supposed to be so much better than the ZFold 5 in just about every single way but these pictures tell a completely different story. Side by side comparison and it's not even close. My ZFold 5 blows the S24 Ultra away in clarity and depth of color. They're just better looking. I even transferred the pictures to the ZFold 5 device just in case it was the display issue that everyone is complaining about... Nope. The ZFold 5 is just plain better. Same resolution, same settings, same sensor, not the same quality. I'm really thinking about sending the S24 Ultra back and waiting for the ZFold 6 at this point.
userCE5SuAu6c0
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Same in regards to thinking about sending it back. I'm so disappointed. Samsung really dropped the ball on this. It also gets blurred easily with a little bit of movement. Have to say that my partners iPhone pro max takes better quality photos. We've been trying to compare through yesterday and today for sharpness, contrast that isn't overblown and colors. It really feels like Samsung dropped the ball here. Even the pro mode doesn't feel up to par with the raw images. It also is not great with resolution and sharpness if things aren't in full light from what we can see so far.
pooh222
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I had to change the default setting from "vivid" to "natural" and turned off adaptive coloring. It helped a lot, but my note 20 is nearly passable. I don't know if I can justify the upgrade price. I ordered a return label but I'm going to give it another week to see if a lot of the issues are fixed in an update. 

userCE5SuAu6c0
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Where did you find these settings on the phone?
0 Likes