Original topic:

Smart Switch S23 Ultra to S24 Ultra

(Topic created: 02-09-2024 09:14 PM)
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
As surprised as I was by how much of my data was moved, I was more surprised by how much wasn't. I backed up everything to Samsung Cloud and Google just before using Smart Switch to move.

Most apps restored, some didn't.
Some app data restored, much didn't.
Quick settings didn't copy over.
Default app preferences didn't copy over.
Many settings, like notification preferences, didn't copy over.

I could go on and on, but I have a phone to set up. It will take a good two days to get this phone ready to swap the SIM... and then I get to do it all over again for the Darling Bride's S24 Ultra! Smart Switch has been around long enough that things like this should not happen. That's my 2¢ and probably not worth that much.
16 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
Maybe because one device had one ui 6.0 and the other has one ui 6.1 could be that problem why they didn't copy over
Solution
Options
Galaxy S24

I migrated using Smart Switch over wifi from S23+ (latest 6.0 security update) to S24+ yesterday and everything made it as far as I'm aware... including my Secure Folder and data. 

Going to double check other data in the main/default container "user 0 profile" just to verify.

I had to re-authenticate on some apps which is expected behavior.

The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm surprised, although it might be a difference in firmware (I'm US Unlocked). It's just very frustrating to have to go through every single app to see what's here and what's not.
0 Likes
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
Right. A device locked to Verizon cannot have all the data restored. Some of them could be permanently deleted.
0 Likes
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I'll be the first to admit that scanning the QR code, and letting the phones get to work, is top-notch cool. Maybe I just have more tweaks and customization than most... we'll find out because I've started the process on the Darling Bride's phone and she's not nearly as techy as her husband.
0 Likes
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
UPDATE: I'm surprised again by how much more data got moved from her S23 Ultra to her S24 Ultra compared with my move. I can't imagine anything so wildly different that caused her move to be so much smoother than mine! That's a mystery... so I apologize to Samsung for blaming Smart Switch when it's clearly just my device.
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Smart Switch failed me again. I opened Gallery on the S24 Ultra and it's empty. Not one of my hundreds of photos/videos were transferred!
🤬
0 Likes
loudd2v
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I found out instead of using smart switch if you go to accounts and backup you can restore your data from your previous device and worked out perfectly
mquin2112
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Ok, so I thought Samsung's Smart Switch was supposed to copy everything over and set your phone up pretty much exactly the way you had your old one set up. What am I missing here?