JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why is Google Messages Creating Group Chats for MMS?

(Topic created: 02-14-2024 10:41 AM)
BlackBullJutsu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Hey y'all,

So I've just activated and transferred over everything from my S22 and for some terrible reason, Google Messages has split every single text thread I had into separate strings. One will be the original thread, but they ripped out every text from non-RCS numbers AND images and put them into a separate group chat with yourself and that number they'd come from.

How can this be fixed? It's extremely frustrating.
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

Thank you!! I was wondering how to get my group conversations back and your response gave me the information I needed. Much appreciated!

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
DDS-SK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

My Samsung messages doesnā€™t have a group conversation toggle? 

0 Likes
Ray_Ginald
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Hello, DDS-SK
Try creating a group by opening the Messages app, tap on the conversation icon, and then tap on the + sign at the top right corner and add the contacts you want included in the group and tap "Done" at the bottom of the screen. Then tap the three vertical dots above the + sign and see if "Group conversation" appears. If it does, toggle this on. Do note, however, that this function all depends on the region where the phone itself was purchased, regardless of what region the SIM card is tied to or purchased.
0 Likes
Members_5qXYHfn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I just upgraded from the S21 Ultra, and my default google messages has a totally new format. Its clunky, my favorites are gone, my groups created are no where to be found, and when I search for a name it brings up all messages with that person. It looks like the interface changed a bit from last night to today but the UX is awful. Anyone else having these issues?

CostaNote9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I am receiving all group messages individually and sometimes with weird characters before the message. Resetting the app and phone hasn't helped
0 Likes
userdDdghF5msW
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

When I transferred my apps to the S24 from the S23 it did not send the Samsung app for messages.  I did what you explained above switching to the Samsung message app.  When I went to send a message there was no Samsung Message app on my phone.  The Google app did not function.  I had to go back an make the Google  app the default.  I can't find the Samsung (3 dots) message app on either the Google App store and Samsung App store.  Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this problem. 

0 Likes
Members_Rl8Cx3A
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hey all,

I had a similar issue recently start happening on my S20+. My RCS was setup correctly.  For the longest time, my number had never appeared under  the Message settings/advanced/Phone number and work just fine. Then in May 2024, my group messages were broken into different threads and my own phone number appeared in the thread. Very annoying. I eventually figured it out. Delete cache and data from google messages. Uninstall and then reboot. Next, download and reinstall Google Messages from the store. As soon it installs,  go to Message settings/advanced/Phone number. Tap on the phone number and immediately type in your phone number in. Reboot. Your phone number should now be saved and no more issues. At least for me. I hope this helps.

Pallas_159
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I had tried everything else before (clearing cache, reinstalling, etc) with no change in the split messages. Adding my phone number is what cleared up this issue for me. Thank you so much!
0 Likes
userkCOJvkSh1n
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Adding my phone number worked for me. I didn't have to do anything else. Thanks for this!
0 Likes
SantiagoJoe
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This issue has been frustrating me for a long time. After reading through previous responses, I tried to uninstall the Google Messages app, but it's now deemed essential by Samsung and can't be uninstalled.

What appears to have resolved the issue for the time being is as follows:

1) Open the Google Messages app.

2) Assuming you're signed into your Google account, click on the first letter of your name in the colored circle. For example, I clicked on "J" for Jason.

3) Select "Messages settings".

4) Scroll down and select "Advanced."

5) Locate the "Phone Number" setting, which was empty for me.

6) Enter your phone number.

After doing this, messages with photos began to arrive in the same chat as text-only messages, meaning a separate group with the MMS sender and myself was not formed.

I hope this solution is permanent and proves helpful for you too.