cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userjXvkGV2pMP
Asteroid

Storage Space "Other" Filling

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had my Galaxy S9+ for close to a year now, and a few months ago I was notified that my storage space was almost full.  It was very difficult for me to believe this, as I do not have nearly enough pictures to be taking that up (pictures and videos are routinely uploaded to Google Drive/Onedrive and deleted from the phone's internal storage), and all of my music is loaded onto an SD card.  Looking at the storage analysis, the problem seems to come from a large amount of space being taken up in the "other" category, but I cannot figure out what is categorized under "other" or why it is filling

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Storage Space "Other" Filling

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I use device care open it and then click storage and clean it or you can run device care and optimize your system which cleans and removes junk

Gary-B82-Ambassador-Signature2Note 10+ User on Verizon Wireless
19 REPLIES 19
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I do believe that other is Android 9.0 Pie and all of the other system files and driver's I have right at 50gb myself 

userjXvkGV2pMP
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I figure the chances are slim, but is there any way to clean those up?

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I use device care open it and then click storage and clean it or you can run device care and optimize your system which cleans and removes junk

userjXvkGV2pMP
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've cleared about 15 GB of storage by going through the device care settings and manually clearing the caches of individual apps, as well as removing data from some apps I was not using and did not realizing were taking up as much space as they were.  Not the dramatic change I was looking for, but I can deal with this for a while

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah I do a cleaning every 2 weeks removing junk

Eman27
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This problem is more complicated than just using the standard "memory cleaner" provided on your phone. I've tried going into "My Files" and hunting down this mysterious file that seemingly overnight took over 75 gigs of space and has now Maxed my phone at 127 gigs out of 128. Even monitored the battery usage to see if something odd was running in the background. I can't seem to track down the malware that's causing it. Opening up the memory cache and cleaning it doesn't seem to do anything but restore few megabytes here and there. This is a severe issue thats rendering my phone nearly unusable because I'm constantly getting warnings of insufficient storage space to perform regular activities. This is definitely a virus of some sort. I literally did nothing on my phone yesterday but listen to music on soundcloud. No downloads, no weird emails or text opened. Then I wake up this morning, pull my phone off the charger and BOOM no memory. Right before my eyes it goes from 38/128 memory used, to 127/128 used. This is blowing my mind. Apps, pics, vids, music, all add up to about 30 gigs. And in storage "other" theres 90 GIGS used all of a sudden. Cant even access the storage location to SEE what exactly it is taking the space. This needs a solution fast

Eman27
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So after investigating into my phone I found something highly disturbing. I went into settings> apps> I selected "show hidden" on top right corner> I then sorted from largest file to smallest> and BOOM right in front of my face I see "Vision Provider" running a whopping 82 GB of my memory into the ground. There's no way of uninstalling it, so I force stop and go back to run a "memory clean up" to see if it's restored. Nope, no matter if I force stop, the app, it still runs and is consuming my memory. Something with the title "Vision Provider" does not sit well with me. I'm currently under the assumption that someone is watching me through my phone and I'm not the conspiracy type but I have no other assumption to come to based off of the name and the fact that despite my efforts it insist on running against my will. I need to know what's going on I need others to see if this relates to their problems because this could be a serious issue. @Samsung_dkO68UD
Screenshot_20190718-125640_Settings.jpgAnyone else see this running on there phone? How much memory is it taking from you?

Screenshot_20190718-125628_Settings.jpg

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The VisionProvider app is a preinstalled app that works with Bixby. However, I am not sure why your app is using so much storage. When you Force Stop the app, select storage and then Delete Data. See if this resolves the issue.

Eman27
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

👍 worked like a charm.  Good call.  Still not sure though how it could just randomly gobble that much memory like that. Weird but oh well🤷‍♂️